Help with understanding what “writeable DVD drive” means in a laptop?

I have been looking for a laptop with an internal DVD player and they are hard to find now. I did find an HP Laptop that has a “writeable CD/DVD Drive” but I have no idea what that means - Does it mean there is an actual internal DVD player as a part of the laptop or does it mean you can connect an external DVD player and it will be able to play DVDs as if it were an internal DVD player? Sorry for my ignorance, but I really need to make sure the laptop I get will be able to actually play DVDs. Thanks for any help in understanding what “writeable CD/DVD Drive” means.

Best Answer

To answer your "answer", yes any laptop that has a DVD drive can read DVD movies. Just be advised that Windows 10 doesn't play DVD movies by through Windows Movie Player anymore. If you don't watch movies on your laptop, then it isn't an issue.

You will be able to rip your movies on any laptop that has a DVD drive.

• daniel g
      4 weeks agoReport

My Win 10 plays and burns DVDs just fine thanks, but have been using Nero showtime so long, have that installed

• AAAJ

Writeable DVD means you can put blank dvds in it & put the data of your choice in it

One of those drives you put a blank recordable DVD in, and burn your own DVD that will play on most players and computers.

Go buy a good movie, put it in the drive and watch your movie on your laptop with apps like media player or showtime.

Windows media player will play MP4s by default and burning software can convert to MP4 to put on your mobile device. Burn to a blank DVD for backup.

• keerok

If it HAS then it means it's there, installed, already a part of it, included within the laptop, part of the price you pay.

"Writeable" means the drive can burn to CDs and DVDs (because older ones don't) and by burn it means it can "write" to them. Of course you will have to use "writeable" CDs or DVDs to use that feature.

• Bill-M

That means that the Optical Drive in the HP laptop can both Write and Read CD's and DVD's

Friend go on eBay and purchase for yourself a Dell m4600. Get one with an i7 processor 2.6 or better processor 8 gigs or more of RAM and if you can find one with a solid state drive get the one with the solid state drive it comes with 82 gig graphics card. It has a writable DVD drive built into it. This is an absolutely awesome laptop. What's best you can get them on eBay for $325 or less. that's laptop although it's a little bit older than most of what you'll find in the department stores absolutely puts to shame most of what you'll find in the store. Compare the specs that I have given to you with ones that you're looking at and you will see that the m 4600 is probably better for less money than what you're thinking of buying.

• daniel g
      4 weeks agoReport

My old Win 7 HP laptop came with DVD burner.

Yes, all "writeable CD/DVD Drives" can play CDs and DVDs. If it wasn't internal then it wouldn't be listed in the laptop specs.

• WhoMe?

I really appreciate the answers I have gotten, but I guess I should have been more specific - When I say that I want to be able to play DVDs on my laptop, I mean movies. I understand that most people do not use CDs/DVDs anymore for data, but I am referring to MOVIES. Also, the reason I want a laptop that has a DVD player to play movies is that I convert them to MP4s so I can then watch them on my iPhone or iPad. I have converted my entire Movie-DVD collection and want to be able to continue doing that.

• WhoMe?
      4 weeks agoReport

Master Of Puppets - Thank you.  I tried to do that, but was unable to “edit” my post and have no idea why.  That is why I just posted another comment.

it is also referred to as DVD/CD RW (with RW stands for read & write)..

back in the 1990s, it used to be a big deal to have a DVD/CD player that was able to write on DVDs as well, but not on all DVDs - only certain DVDs referred to as DVD-R (recordable), DVD-RW (Re-Writable) and the short-lived DVD-RAM (not ROM, RAM=Random Access Memory)..

you can also find CD-R, CD-RW and CD-RAM in the market today..- DVD-R or DVD recordable is a one time recording medium.. you can burn or recordthe data on the DVD-R once and it is permanent..

- DVD-RW offers few times to re-write on the DVD (3-10 times) before the changes become more permanent..

- DVD-RAM offers several times of recording on the DVD-RAM more than the DVD-RW, and it is often the most expensive among the 3 types..

CD-R, CD-RW and CD-RAM are about the same..

most DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM are single layer DVDs.. and most DVD-players that records on DVDs are single layer burners; so i suspect that your DVD player is a single layer DVD burner..but what does that mean?!

DVDs have the maximum amount of recording data of 8GB, and almost all DVD players can read that 8GB data on any DVD.. but that's 8GB arranged into 2 layers on the DVD..unfortunately, it takes a special type pf DVD/CD RW to be able to burn (or write) on both layers.. so more than often the DVD/CD RW can only burn on one of the 2 layers of a DVD with a total amount of 4GB..

more expensive DVD/CD RW can burn into both layers, and they are referred to as double layers burners upto 8GB on a double layer DVD.. however, most players in the market are one layer writer and both layers reader..

in other words you need both a DVD with dual layers 8GB and a player that is able to burn on both layers of a DVD - which is more scarce and more expensive than most DVD/CD RWs..

but such players are getting rare because the next generation of Blu-ray/DVD/CD RW are now available in the market that is also able to burn/record on Blu-ray (better known as Blu-ray Disc Recordable (BD-R) and Blu-ray Disc Recordable Erasable (BD-RE)) with Disc capacities are 25 GB for single-layer discs, 50 GB for double-layer discs, 100 GB (simply known as "XL") for triple-layers discs, and 128 GB for quadruple-layers (in BD-R only) discs..

the reason we rarely use or hear about it, is because of the availability of USB thumb drives and USB harddrives that made the practice of burning DVDs,CD and Blu-rays almost obsolete..

in fact.. i do not remember the last time i used a disc!!..

• Hi. Just for reference I have a BD-RW drive in My desktop, but still use the DVDR discs for burning live linux distros to boot systems from. COULD do that with YUMI / USB flashdrives, but the DVDR is more secure to go online from.

There is an actual DVD player built into the unit which can not only read disks but (with the correct medium) write to them. They are now very compact compared to a decade or so ago and take very little room.