Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 4 weeks ago

Will I NEVER get my own place??

I'm 5k in debt with a credit card company from 2 years ago, I work a minimum wage job only making $9.45 an hour, I have a 7 month old baby and an almost $200 car payment every month. I get child support from my babys dad every 2 weeks but its hardly anything each time.. I still live with my parents because of my financial situation right now.. I really don't want to live with my parents for the rest of my life but right now that's how its looking.. and I really don't want to raise my baby in my parents house, I want to be able to have my own place and not have to rely on my parents for the rest of my life. I just don't have money to pay off my debts because of my car payments and baby but I don't want to get rid of my car because I don't want to get public transportation and don't want to sell my car to get a cheap car because I love my car. My credit is already ruined so could I start raising my credit score right now without having to pay my debts since I've been in debt with them for a long time and my credit score is already probably the lowest it'll ever get? Will I ever be able to get my own place?

TL;DR. never say never

If your credit is ruined no one is going to open accounts for you to raise your scores. Kind of a catch 22.

Despite being 5k in debt from 2 years back you have a minimum paying job and decided to get stuck with a car payment of $200 a month.

Then seeing the mess you were in you decided to get pregnant 16 months back.

And now you do not want to get rid of the payment because you "love your car."

STOP.  Look at your situation.  Get a better paying  job.  Get rid of your car payment and any other unneeded bills you pay (such as expensive cell phone, eating out, other things) and start paying off debt.  Also go to court.  Whoever got you pregnant owes you 18 years of child support, so have a judge set it and start getting paid.

GROW UP!  You might want to discuss this with your parents.  You really can not consider your own place  until you stop thinking like a 12 year old.

I'm not trying to be mean, only to wake you up.

Maybe you should have thought about that before getting pregnant?

• Judy

It's going to take a couple years at best, if you start making some good decisions now. How long does your car payment have to go yet? You can't afford a car even that much.

• n2mama

Don’t you think your priorities are a little out of whack here? You’ve already made a number of poor decisions, but rather than focusing on doing everything you can to dig out of the massive hole you have put yourself in, you instead make statements like “I don’t want to get rid of my car because I love my car”. Sorry, but I doubt anyone here can help you until you figure out how to reset your priorities and focus on what’s best for your child.

You need to make more money.  Perhaps your parents or other trusted adults can help you to figure out how.  

Things like this happen when two people make a baby that they can't afford.

sell your car , get a hiring paying job, get a second job, `go back to school and get a degree or a trade,cut up your credit cards, live within your means.

If you were dumb enough to get pregnant by "some guy" when you couldn't even take care of yourself, it doesn't look good. People manage to do it, though.

I recommend you:

1. don't get pregnant anymore until you're financially stable and married

2. sacrifice now so things will be better later

I had to take the bus to community college (and everywhere else) for three years and it SUCKED ...but suffering short term was the only way I could prosper in the long run.

• DEBS

If you're not a troll, then the answer is that you will never have your own place because of your own selfishness.  Sell your car.  Get a cheap one.  Teach your kid right and not 'but I like it.'  You know, grow up.