Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesFord · 3 weeks ago

Ford Focus tdci 2008 lost power?

Hi I’ve recently purchased a Ford Focus and it’s giving me problems already. Driving home from work a loud noise came from the engine, like a tyre busting suddenly with air coming out. The car then lost a lot of power, it’s struggled driving up the hill. I managed to pull over and let it idle for a while with no problem. I decided to chance driving 3 miles home, it drove on under 1500 revs which was high gear and very slowly but it got me home. There was a bit of hissing noise when I was revving also. I’m not sure if a pipe bust or something, if I was really serious the car wouldn’t have drove me home? Any recommendations before I hold of a mechanic tomorrow, thanks very much Luke 

• Neil

The fact that you heard a sound "like a tyre bursting" suggests that it was a failure somewhere between the turbo and the intake manifold. This would leave the engine running without a turbocharger, which would account for it idling fine but being down on power.

Hopefully it is just a loose pipe, which can be reattached, but it could also be a split pipe, or worse still but less likely a punctured intercooler.

Any decent mechanic should be able to diagnose and repair it.

Turbo is likely shot.  Get the car towed to a garage.  And anytime your car is not running right, pull over and call for a tow.

Yes, when you hear a loud noise from the engine turn it off and call the mechanic THEN. Don't leave it ticking over or, worst still, drive it until you know what the problem is.

i think barry could be right ..its happened to me ...one minute fine ..next gutless ...got the AA out and he found it in a minute ...turbo pipe fell off ..it had not been fitted properly ..cant tell you why ...5 minutes later all fixed ..no problem since 

Hopefully a turbo pipe has split or become detached. It's also possible that the fuel pump has partly failed. I had a similar experience with the car limping home. The turbo pipe will be peanuts. A replacement or rebuilt pump will be eye watering.

• Luke3 weeks agoReport

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes it wouldn’t be nice if it was the fuel pump. And hopefully it isn’t the actual turbo itself, would the car have drove after a turbo failure?