Why do companies ask your desired salary after they've already they've already listed a salary in their job posting?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Greg
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The listed salary is almost always negotiable.

• 1 month ago

The salary listed isn't always why they end up paying. Sometimes they'll negotiate -- or just offer more or less.

• 1 month ago

Basically to see if you're paying attention! If you quote the advertised amount it shows that you've been paying attention

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

cause they want to know if you'll feel good about getting that salary

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because that can be negotiated.  For example, my oldest son has done three paid internships.  He's a senior in university and was offered full-time work at all three companies.  When he said no to one in Boston, they bumped up their offer by 14 percent. 

He has plans for further education (grad school), but I guess the company thought that a bigger offer would make him change those plans.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you desire twice what it pays, they probably won't bother with you.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

1)  Because they're nosy and they consider it market research;

2)  Because they want to know if they can lowball you or if they might need to up their offer;

3)  Because they will attempt to verify it with your prior employer which will establish your honesty (or lack thereof).

• 1 month ago

Ah, it might come as a surprise to you, but in many cases the salary is negotiable. Even when it's posted by their HR, you can still ask for more...and see where that goes. They'll not dis-hire you for asking more, they'll simply say "That's as high as we can go" and leave it up to you to accept or not.

But surprise, sometimes they'll give you what you ask for. Happened to me in my last position before I retired from the nine to five altogether. They offered me an amount and I countered with $5000 higher...and they accepted.

It happens when they really need you and you really fit their position qualifications.

• oldprof
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Which is why I wrote the caveat: It happens when they really need you and you really fit their position qualifications.

• Damien
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

theyre checking to see if uve read the ad entirely or just took a 5 second look at it, also if the ad says 17 dollars salary and u say u want 20 dollars per our salary, theyll know u are an idiot and reject u for the job.

• Linda
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

To see if you require more than the requested salary. They want to know if you consider that a fair wage.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.