Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

Having your phone on international flights!?

Everyone says to leave your phone at home or factory reset it because the customs agents can and most likely will go through it. Is this true? My boyfriend and I joke about some weird things that might seem strange to the officers. Nothing like bad bit just joking about some things. Would they have access to that and would they do anything about it? I don't have an example I can't think of one. He wants to bring his phone and he doesn't want to factory reset it.

Cellular calls are not allowed on domestic airlines, but lots of international airlines, including British Airways, Emirates, and Etihad allow fliers to chat on a voice call in addition to texting and browsing the web. So far, there have been no major incidents traced to the fact that phone calls are allowed.

Customs agents CAN and often do have a look at your phone and other gadgets.

My boyfriend and I joke about some weird things that might seem strange to the officers. TOO BAD FOR YOU. Customs officers are not known for their humor.

Would they have access to that   YES

and would they do anything about it?  They can depending what they see.

They could just refuse you entry to their country , fine you or arrest you. Not advised to play games when trying to cross borders.

The issue is THEIR LAWS not your home country's

MOST pass without having their phone or gadget contents looked at.

Maybe time you made an effort to clear your  phone of stuff others should not see.

• james

It can happen. It is rare to have happen. Also computers. But they need a good reason to do so. 

• AJ

Depends on the country you are flying into. I fly to Europe, Central America and the Caribbean often for work and vacations, and I have never had my phone searched.

Having your phone searched is highly unlikely, unless you're a journalist or person of interest / suspicion.

They can go through your phone, but they most likely will not. If they went through even most people's phones the line-ups for security would be six hours long. When they go through people's phones it's because something else made them think there was something off. Maybe someone says they're visiting for a week but has 2 suitcases full of enough clothes for a year so the border people think maybe the person is really coming there to work without a visa. Maybe someone only spent a day in a place that's a ten hour flight from home. Border people might go through a phone to find evidence that the person is going to work or is smuggling drugs. If you are a normal visitor with nothing to hide and you aren't doing anything illegal, there's no reason to worry about your phone

• AJ
      1 month agoReport

Obviously, you have never met my wife. She could easily fill 2 suitcases for a week long vacation.

If you have some things on your phone "just Joking" and you were for some reason searched and your phone was checked and these things looked suspicious then you would be in deep sh1t.

Never, ever, have, say or do anything that could possibly cause any home or foreign airport security personnel to have any doubts about you.

Delete the "just joking" things before attempting to pass through  home or foreign security.

Use some brain for goodness sake.

Everyone I know takes their phones with them. The customs people have never looked at my phone. Who told you this? The only people who get searched at most destinations are those who look suspicious. Mexico has a system where you push a button that randomly lights up red or green. If it's red, they search your suitcase- but even they have never asked for my phone. I think someone was telling you a story. 

People take their phones on flights all the time without a problem.

people can bring phones but you cant have it on during takeoff or landing

• blnscomm4 weeks agoReport

No wonder this country is so damn boring anymore, Those giving this comment Thumbs Down totally missed the joke.  You people need to lighten up, ****.