Atheists: Why is it called the “THEORY” of evolution and not “FACT”?

Christians believe in the SCRIPTURES because they are written and absolute. Why must you atheists waste away with GUESSES and opinions? Hm?

47 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

If evolution was a fact it would be a law.  Evolution isn't even a scientific hypothesis according to the scientific method.

• 3 weeks ago

When someone doesn’t know the definition of theory 😂

Also lots of fictional things are written down my dude, in your way of thinking that makes Santa real the tooth fairy real etc etc

Go back to your bible sweet child.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Why do people insist on feeding the obvious troll?

• Is it a theory when put under scrutiny? It doesn't seem to fit the bill. You can't observe it because they claim it takes an untold number of years for change, it can't be reproduced in controlled experiments, and how can it make predictions?

Attachment image
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

If you profess to be a Christian you need to learn the answer so that your future questions will not give Christianity a bad name. Let a Scientist, who is a Christian, answer you question, followed by an atheist. First, here is what particle physicist Dr Simon Singh said in his book 'Fermat's Last Theorem': 

"In science a hypothesis is put forward to explain a physical phenomenon. If observations of the phenomenon compare well with the hypothesis, this becomes evidence in favour of it. Furthermore, the hypothesis should not merely describe a known phenomenon, but predict the results of other phenomena. Experiments may be performed to test the predictive power of the hypothesis, and if it continues to be successful then this is even more evidence to back the hypothesis. Eventually the amount of evidence may be overwhelming and the hypothesis becomes accepted as a scientific theory. 

"Scientific theory... is merely considered highly likely based on evidence available. So-called scientific proof relies on observation and perception, both of which are fallible and provide only approximations to the truth... Even the most widely accepted scientific 'proofs' always have a small element of doubt in them." 

That strikes the right balance, does it not? Massive amounts of evidence turn a hypothesis into a scientific theory. Of course, with the theory of evolution, certain points remain uncertain. I'm not aware of it producing any calculations that predicts other phenomena. I have doubts about claims that experiments have proven the truth of it, and we all know that ancient artefacts are sometimes shown to be far younger than originally stated, and interpretations about a metatarsal here and a jaw-bone there have often been laughable in the desperation attached to claims about them proving evolution. 

Dr Brian Cox, Royal Society University Research Fellow and professor at the University of Manchester, said on a BBC programme (28/12/2011) that "There are no absolute truths in science." If evolutionists bear that in mind, they might be less touchy at Christians challenging the "fact" of evolution. And if Christians bear in mind Dr. Singh's explanations, they might be less silly with their claims that a scientific theory is unproven. If we could all get beyond arguments over the word 'theory' and just stick to the evidences offered and the gaps that remain, we would all benefit. 

• Annsan_In_Him
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Goldy, my answer agrees about some things being uncertain in scientific theories - which isn't a problem. But there's also uncertainty in religion which deals with metaphysics, not science.  As a Christian, I know this. I can hold scientific AND religious views together.

• 4 weeks ago

"Theory" is not the same as "scientific theory" {which is what the theory of evolution falls under}. Scientific theory is defined as, "A coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation: the scientific theory of my evolution." It is known as the SCIENTIFIC theory of evolution.

• 4 weeks ago

would u please pray to the lord to give u a functioning brain??   please......

• 4 weeks ago

A theory, in science, is a framework that fully explains facts.  These facts are fully concordant with and indicative of what we can show to actually be true.  What does religion have?  It starts off with an already assumed conclusions about wild and dubious claims from questionable sources that have absolutely no supporting proof and evidence of any kind at all.  This is mixed with some logical fallacies nested in circular reasoning to arrive at claims that are by definition not even possible.  Magic, the supernatural and deities, by definition, cannot exist.  You can very easily prove me wrong by simply demonstrating your god, or any god for that matter.  You won't because you can't.  Those are the facts.

• Jennifer
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

It doesn't anyway, but it comes closer if you're honest about the definitions.

• Paul
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Why would atheists know the answer to this question?? However, biologists, whether atheist, Christian or other, can answer it. The term "theory" does not mean the same thing in science that it means in everyday speech. You might say "I have a theory why John is late for dinner", meaning a guess or a possible reason. In science, a proposed possible explanation for something is called a hypothesis. Such an idea doesn't get elevated to the exalted status of a scientific theory until it has been thoroughly studied by many scientists over a long period of time, and has accumulated such vast supporting evidence that it is clearly a fact. Biological evolution is such a theory, such a fact, and is far better understood than many other scientific theories, like gravity.

• Goldy Aluminy
      Lv 5
      3 weeks agoReport

Laws are just a short description of a particular observation, such as natural selection leads to certain properties: white rabbits in snowy countries. A theory encompasses laws, data, mathematical models, 3D models, graphs, descriptions, etc.

• 4 weeks ago

Because we can open a dictionary and read the definition of theory, instead of applying the definition of hypothesis to it like creationists do.

• Goldy Aluminy
      Lv 5
      3 weeks agoReport

Laws are just a short description of a particular observation, such as natural selection leads to certain properties: white rabbits in snowy countries. A theory encompasses laws, data, mathematical models, 3D models, graphs, descriptions, etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.