Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 4 weeks ago

How do I meet people and make friends? Do I just go up to them and introduce myself?

So, I was at an orientation for a college. At the beginning, everyone admitted that they knew no one. However, when the first break came around, I saw everyone socializing with each other as if they knew each other forever while I just sat at an empty table by myself. I was flabbergasted. How were they so sociable? How were they able to meet people so fast? How do I do it? Do I just go up to them an introduce myself? Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

If I were you, I'd look around for another person who is alone in the crowd and go sit with them.

Yes first step is to go up and introduce yourself. Maybe make a compliment like “hey I like your shoes, where did you get them?” The key is to ask a question where they can’t just say yes or no because that could potentially end the conversation right there. 

Next step, if you get a good vibe from the person, is to get them to talk about themselves. People care about themselves more than anyone else so if you can become a good listener and learn to be intrigued about other people then you will go a long way. Just keep them talking about them haha. Trust me, it works. Then later on they’ll want to talk to you again because you were such a great listener 

yes and maybe you can ask them how they did it

• martin

Be yourself. If you're shy, don't force yourself to do something you don't want to do.