DMV lost license abroad?

I have been working abroad for 4 or almost 5 years. I haven't visited home since. Well the problem is I lost my license a few years ago. I reported it missing, but I never got it back. I'm not even sure if it is expired or not.. Well anyway, since I am changing companies abroad and it is required for me to drive with the new job. I will physically go to America to get a new license and an international drivers permit. Will I be ok to walk out with a new license the same day if I have the required documents like S.S card, birth certificate, diploma, etc. What if it is expired? Can I renew and get that in 1 day? I hope this nightmare will be over.

5 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    This will take a LOT longer than 1 day.  Yes, you can reapply. Do you need to take a driving test, something else?  I don't know because I don't know WHERE.

    Why not continue to drive on y our International License?

    I wouldn't count on getting a new license immediately for a lot of reasons such as:  "im F****ing American and I haven t been home in 4 years. I ve been told 5 times that my grammar is sometimes wrong in both speaking and writing. what?? I don t even notice it!! I ve been studying japanese for the last 3 years and haven t hung out with Americans.. i m a freaking English teacher. If I lose my ability to speak and write, i ll be frickin jobless. OMG. what to do? I ve always excelled at both writing and English classes when I was in college.. I m losing my mind here.. how can I fix it? shitttt..."

  • 1 month ago

    AS you have been living abroad for almost 5 years you should have obtained a license for the country you've been living in. Effectively you have been driving unlicensed (and, therefore, uninsured).

  • May
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

    Since you are not merely "visiting" the foreign country but instead living and working in the foreign country,  I don't think a USA drivers license would be valid anyway.   Seems since you are living in the foreign land that you would need their drivers license. 

    Besides, You cannot get a USA drivers license unless you are a resident of a USA state and have a valid address where you live and receive mail in that USA state.

    Also.... If your old USA license has expired, you cannot renew it because it no longer exists.

    Before you jump on a plane and fly to the USA, you need to be looking into this much more closely.

  • Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    That would depend on which state issued the license and how long they allow it to be expired before you have to start all over. That state has a website and a phone number

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • martin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Go in, take a number, and ask someone if you have everything you need. Or call first and find out what you'll need.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.