Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Are most dogs smart enough to not run out into traffic , or must they be trained to not do so?

I have an 18 month old rat terrier. I never leave her outdoors unattended , due to one of my fears. That fear is that she might run into traffic and get hit by a car.

There is no gate or fence in the yard of my apartment.

So I ALWAYS put her on a harness and leash when we are out for walks or go to the park etc.

By her breed being a rat terrier , she likes to chase things... So I especially worry.

Do dogs have a natural instinct or intuition to stay away from traffic ?

Favorite Answer

Dogs don't have an instinct to avoid cars. If a dog has a bad experience with a car, it may learn to fear and avoid them. That's called conditioning. It might instead also respond to the fear by wanting to chase the thing that frightened it. That also is conditioning. Training is what happens when you condition a dog on purpose to respond in a certain way to something. You are absolutely correct to keep your dog on a leash outdoors, particularly a terrier which has the instinct to chase things.

Dogs are much too unintelligent, imbecilic, retarded, braindead, stupid, dimwitted, thick, dumb, idiotic, dense, slow, moronic, dopey, challenged, cretinous, pea brained and obtuse to even comprehend such an obvious thing. Which means that it isn't exactly a tragedy when one of those dumbasses gets run over, and turns into nothing more than blood and pulp on the pavement.

• Joe
      4 weeks agoReport

anonymous idiot once again....

NO THEY DO NOT. They don't know what traffic can do to them, they pay it no mind. You need a fence. Can't let dog out in the yard with no fence. You need to do something about that since your dog is ferreting breed. The chase is on & the dog is wearing blinders & only see the object of his chase. Nothing else matters.

Yes, dogs are born knowing that cars can run them over.  That's why all dogs avoid streets and none are ever hit by cars.

Train the dog to stay and it shouldn't be an issue.

• odd

No, they aren't. Dogs get killed by cars all the time, like cats, squirrels, possums, turtles, raccoons. . .

they should never be given the opportunity

Congratulations. You are being a responsible dog owner. Instinctively, you have done the right thing. You must love and respect your dog very much. Dogs do not have a natural instinct nor intuition to stay away from traffic. Please, don't ever take the chance of going out without your dog being on a lead. It is just not worth it. 

WARNING: The following is only suitable for an adult audience.  When I was 14, I used to be in a gang of friends. We met up and went to each others houses every day. Within the group there were individual dynamics like pairs of mates, being best friends. So, one of the chaps got a dog. A young Jack Russell. About 18 months old - maybe two years old. A very welcome addition into the crowd. I still remember his name. Cute as f**k. Would do tricks. Instant best mates with his owner. At that age and stage of development, getting a dog - especially in the tough Inner City streets where we lived, means a lot. Did my friend ever love that dog. It kind of came between him and his best mate but, so what, right? In my opinion, no man (and especially not a girl/woman/significant other) should come between you and your dog. Anyhow. Friend dog & me lived in the flats straight across the road from friend dog's bestie's house. That's how we used to meet up. By a system of visual cues and whistles. Between us was part of a massive trunk route road through Inner London. We were Inner City Kids, well used to the road. Street Wise. The dog wasn't. He never had a lead on. He was a fast as f**k, young Jack Russell. "Being trained." One afternoon, as we were coming across the road from the flats, dog in tow, friend bestie - waiting across the road for the traffic to die down and for us to get across the road, made a fatal misjudgement: Thinking there was no more traffic, as some of us had begun to cross the road, he called the dog. Who then shot away from his owner and... Straight into the wheel arch of a car doing 32/33mph as it'd straggled through on an amber traffic light. I kid you not, 34 years later and I can still see and hear the hideous sight and sickening crunch and pop noise that poor dog made as it encountered the wheel and spun round the wheel arch of that car, splitting his head, breaking his neck. The poor driver was heartbroken but, he'd done nothing wrong. Of course, the dog died. Instantly there was a massive fight between the two besties (that's how boys sort these things out). Only, it never did get sorted. Not really: Because friend dog could never really get rid of the nagging doubt at the back of his mind that, friend bestie, jealous of the dog, called the dog to his death on purpose. After all, we all knew the traffic flows. We all knew we needed definite visual confirmation that the road was clear because of the constant presence of stragglers and, more dangerous still, red light jumpers. Things were just never the same between those two.  I could have made this retelling very short but, I wanted you to know exactly why you should continue making the best decisions for you and your dog, by keeping it on a lead.  Wishing you peace in your life. 

I 100% agree with all that Verulam has said including people using extender leads along roads.   You have to remember that dogs don't actually have 'common sense' and they will act on instinct.

Just to add to Verulam's post,  don't forget that not only can the dog get hit by a car but if someone brakes hard or swerves to avoid it can cause a major road accident which can result in serious injury or even worse.  

NOBODY should allow their dog near a road offlead.  If the dog is so well trained that it can be good why show off about it and risk a problem.  

Guide dogs are the only dog I'd trust out on a road and they go through extensive training and are selected out of thousands by breeding to do so. 

Dogs do NOT understand to avoid traffic.. Nor is that something you can train them.