What is power of Attorney?? Do i need the help of any lawyers for drafting?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

A Power of Attorney (POA) is created by one person ( principal) and gives the right to another person (agent) to speak for the principal when the principal becomes incapacitated or cannot act on their own behalf. You can download a form to do that online or use something like "Legal Zoom" but you do not need an attorney. The POA becomes invalid when the principal dies (frequently not understood). You might want to notarize the form to insure it is binding (?).

• 4 weeks ago

In quite a few of your previous posts you indicate you're in UAE.  It might be a good idea to check with an attorney to see if the requirements are different.

• 4 weeks ago

You do not need a lawyer to draft POA in most cases. You can download for a small fee the documentation you need. However, all parties to the POA will need to sign it and have it notarized. A copy should be given to banks, doctors, etc, depending on the relevant situation. Everyone should have a POA for healthcare decisions just in case.

• TedEx
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

a  POA is a document entitling someone to make any  and all legal l decisions  for you. For example , a POA can sell your house, sell your car. has ccess to your money, , etc. However a POA can be held accountable for any questionable transactions. And a POA ends upon death.

That is why is important that you select someone you can trust as POA, 

A paralegal can draw up a POA.

My daughter has POA for me.  Recently, while I was in the hospital, she could pay all my bills,etc

• Morningfox
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Not "all legal decisions". The POA spells out what decisions it is good for. It might say "just the decisions necessary to sell the house at 123 Main St.".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

POA is a sort of contract that allows someone else to make decision for you without you being there. Or it can allow you to make ALL decisions for the person if they become unable to make life decisions themselves. An example would be someone with Dementia. When they find out they have alzhiemers for example, they would get a POA created and a person of their choice becomes in charge of their life when they are mentally unable to be in charge of their life because they end up being a danger to themselves or others.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Granting an agency (in the form of POA) may be unilateral, not necessarily a mutual contract.

• edward
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Yes, you need to see a lawyer. Power if attorney means basically legal next of kin. If someone is not able to make choices for themselves you have the power to make choices for them for any and all legal purposes. You can sign documents in their stead too. Very basic responsibilities

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

If you don't even know what it is, then yes, you definitely need the help of lawyers for drafting one, or even for deciding if you need one.

Your question is like asking "What is a heart transplant? Do I need the help of any doctors for doing one?"

• 4 weeks ago

Question is????

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

On my screen it says, "What is power of Attorney?? Do i need the help of any lawyers for drafting?"  That's two questions.  Not good enough?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.