Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Do cats get emotionally attached to owner? Can i give it to some other owner?

Heyy so i looooove kittens and cats i was thinking of getting a kitten, but my university might start after 6 months or an year so i will have to stay in a dorm and can't take the kitten with me, so i thought i will give him to a loving family and make sure they give him all the love and care he needs!!

But my question is will be able to adapt to new people after growing up with me? As he will be a kitten with me and will probably be grown up when i give him away.. Do cats get emotionally attached? Will he be happy without me?  

If he will get attached and might feel sad without me then I won't buy one yet..

Thanku in advance for your answer ^^ looking forward to it

No need to give more answers I've already had plenty of answers telling me they do get attached so I'm not getting one! Thanks to the few ppl who gave sensible answers here!!

yes, of course, a cat can attach with owner

The only thing cats get attached to is food.

No..............

• patty

not a good idea. get a goldfish instead.

If you're going away to college shortly, do the cat a favor and don't get one.

Use a shock collar. 

• Eva

They adjust, but since you know you're only going to be able to have one for a short time, why not foster? Contact your local shelter to see what their requirements are. Your job is to get them social and ready to adopt to a forever home.

• patty
      1 month agoReport

I want to swear at the person who wrote this question but am controlling myself

• Ocimom

Some cats may (usually Siamese tend to be that way).  But most all cats will adjust to a new family.  However, why waste a kitten's time with you if you are leaving in 6 months and can't take the kitten with you?  I would not even get a kitten in this case.  However, you could volenteer to be a foster home or a kitten or cat for the few months you can have one.  This way the rescue group would take the kitten or cat back before you leave to college.

Please, for the sake of the kitten, don't even think of getting one until after you have finished all of your schooling.  Cats do definitely get very attached to a person and if you then give it away it will always have that feeling of abandonment.  I had my last cat for 18 years and you wouldn't believe the trouble I went to finding new places to live when I had to move because I would not abandon my cat.  She adapted to every single one of 9 moves without any fuss and I believe that's because I was always there.

Yes, it will be able to adapt to new people. However, it isn't always easy to find a 'loving family'. Pets are not temporary. If you know you can't look after one long-term, don't get one.