linda asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

my dog got hit by a van right in front of me. I can t EVER let him off his leash, I ve tried letting someone walk him, i can t. Advice?

• PR
    Best Answer

I am not sure I understand the question. Are you asking how you can walk your dog, without a leash? If you want to do this, you need to do extensive training and this is considered advanced training to walk without a leash. Even in that case, many dogs will bolt toward something they really want to see.

If you have a fenced yard, you could play with your dog, there. If you don't have a fenced yard, put the dog on a long rope/leash of about 15 feet long. Allow this to drag and stand near the end of the rope. If the dog tries to get beyond your yard, step on the rope, and say, "No, stay" or "No, sit", and make the dog sit. Pull him back a little so he knows he has reached his boundary. This would need to be repeated over a couple months or so, to be effective; but if he is a young dog you would always need this long rope on him so you can stop him, if he tries to run.

You could also take him to a dog park. 

Other than that, you will need to use a leash and possibly take him to obedience training classes offered through your local school system. 

It is sad your dog was hit, and hope he is feeling better!

• E. H. Amos
      4 weeks agoReport

if he WERE actually trained and trained to mind - despite distractions (not just in sterile class environments) he would not have moved or bolted out of HEEL position.  Walking dogs off-lead requires ADVANCED  training & usually the proof of it- by the earning of an obedience title.

Why can't you walk your dog? If you can just walk it, how does it get any exercise? How is the training going?

If you cannot give your dog the proper needs, then, maybe, you shouldn't have a dog.

Being hit by a Van, is the dog okay? Were you walking the dog when this happened? Why wasn't it on lead?

What prevents you from being a responsible dog owner? Do you feel that it is bit hard for you to care for your dog?

This sounds more like troll than a real question. Not enough information. You noticed all the questions I ask?

From me - NEVER have your dog(s) off a lead if they are near public roads.  Even the best trained dogs could so easily take off after a cat or squirrel, or other, if it happens to run out past the off lead dog.   It's an accident in the waiting.  As said before, we have an irresponsible couple up the road here who never have their dogs on a lead now and one of these days, the worst will happen.   Guaranteed.  I just hope it's not my car they run under......................

I don't really understand your question - if your dog was sadly hit by a van, you clearly had him off his lead at that time.   I hope he recovered.   As for letting somebody else do the exercising - only do that if you totally trust that person and know he can control your dog - AND KEEPS HIM ON A LEAD other than in open fields or a park.

• Jojo

Why not walk the dog where there is NO traffic?

I never walk my dog in urban areas, only very rural.

Always have a dog on a lead in urban areas and where there is a road with traffic.

Teach your dog a good recall, it can save a dogs life.

A little forethought when out walking a dog or opening a front door can help avoid nasty accidents. 

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.

Don't let him off his leash.