is Ram an output or input or both?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Neither.

Input and output both relate to how the computer communicates with the user. Ordinarily, the user is oblivious to RAM or memory. There is no direct interaction between them so RAM can neither be input or output. You can't just fish data out of RAM. You have to type the commands on the keyboard or click the mouse (input) to command the CPU to provide the data to you through the monitor or printer (output).

RAM or memory is technically storage. It is actually the primary storage. Hard disks, SSDs, CDs/DVDs, USB drives, memory cards, floppy disks and tape drives are all secondary storage. Some group memory with the primary part of the computer - the processor, since the processor does everything in memory.

• Roddy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Neither, it is MEMORY and hence a STORAGE device.

• AAAJ
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

It's neither an input nor an output 

• vvffffffffffffffff

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Hi. RAM is neither an input or an ouput because it is not and ENDING location for data or other

operational signals.

It is not an output because it doesn't finish a procedure by displaying the output on a screen with no returned results, same with printing, the printer might return a result code to the processor - but it's mostly just getting a status light as in "ready for next output".

It's not an input because it's also not an origination point for the data or signals that it sends out. The data it uses it not CREATED BY the RAM, Because it's not providing one of a set of 3 or 4,000 possibilities like a keyboard with combination keypresses, or a mouse with buttons & clicks combinations, it is simply an echoing point for data already created.

Therefore ... RAM isn't a valid input or output ... It is a data "throughput".

G'Luck!!!

• 4 weeks ago

RAM is just like a hard drive but much faster. You can read and write data to both. I don't think anyone would consider RAM a peripheral device though, in terms of labeling it an input/output even though it does both functions. It's simply a device hooked up to a data bus that gets data needed from the hard drive, to make that data accessible to the CPU at a much faster speed than the hard drive could provide. I always look at the hard drive as the long term file cabinet that stores everything and the RAM as "temporary" storage for what you are using/working on at the time.

• SBR32277
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

@shaiby, as I said, it is both, it is like a transceiver, where it transmits and receives data from the data buss. It really acts as a buffer between the hard drive and CPU. I just don't think people think of RAM as an input/output device.

• 4 weeks ago

When I do it it’s an input, then out put, then input, then output... and so on. And it hurts.

• 4 weeks ago

RAM is part of the core function of a computer, it's in a separate class from input/output (peripheral) devices.

For actual data flow, data is transferred both ways between the CPU and RAM.

READ type instruction cycles transfer data from RAM to CPU, WRITE type instruction cycles transfer from CPU to RAM.

• Robert J
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

This represents it nicely - the "memory unit" being the RAM interface, totally separate from input and output:
      https://miro.medium.com/max/710/0*OWKnEJam-tAW-JzZ.png

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.