Why is housing so expensive?

My job wants me to move but I really can't afford it. Renting would cost half my check, and the houses in my price range are all dumps.

Landlords charge what the market will bear. As long as there are people willing to pay the high rents they now demand, they will continue to raise the rents until the market flattens out.

I have heard of this requirement for management, but not for hourly employees.  Check with your HR department.

Why is your employer asking you to move? Is your job relocating?

• Mog
      1 month agoReport

No. He wants me to live there. I’m working for the city and he’s saying that I need to live in the city if I’m working for the city. But two of the people working in the city finance office don’t live in the city. I think he’s trying to get me to quit. 

• the average American commute is, i think, 1.5 hours each way (correction: 8% travel this far. the average is 26 min). this is where you start out. hopefully, you outgrow the low salaries and long commutes. most of the time it's not worth it for a job with no potential for upward mobility or valuable new skills taught.

• i don't see the big deal either unless they have major morale issues internally. but then again if nobody is offering you a job a) you're not over qualified for and b) has upward mobility it may be worth it. think of this as your New-Age Internship.