How can an urine infection spread so quickly? ?

My boyfriends granny died yesterday from an urine infection which had spread into her blood making her very ill. She got admitted to hospital a week last Sunday and died yesterday. She was 83 if that makes any difference. Before that she was healthy.

• Edna

Your boyfriend's granny had developed  a urinary infection long before she was admitted to the hospital, and had never been treated for it. The infection spread to her kidneys; her kidneys shut down; and she died.

Having been through extended cancer treatments in the past,I have been in hospital for a urinary track infection that got in the bloodstream.I can tell you,once that happens it doesn't really matter if you live or die.The sickness is more extreme than some people can live through.There is unimaginable chills,fever,pain,and weakness as the body fights that fight and may or may not survive.

Old folks have weak immune systems. Normally your immune system stops a urinary tract infection* from infecting the kidneys. But if it fails, they become infected and your kidneys filter your blood so it doesn't take a long time for the bacteria to get into the blood and cause sepsis AKA bloodstream infection, which is very deadly. Especially for older folks. It only takes a few days for it to kill an older person.

The same thing happened a year ago on my girl's side, and I think the infection existed for awhile before it was noticed, so it perhaps it had already spread. That and her grandmother's already frail state, caused her to pass in less than a 2 week period.

The urinary tract infection spreads quickly to the virus.

• Judith
      3 weeks agoReport

Interesting response from someone who thinks he's an M.D.

• cmac'm

Once infection is in the blood it's hard to recover especially if you have a compromised immune system. Sepsis. The blood infection leads to organ failure