Does the gas company have to shut off the entire neighborhood in order to replace a leaking valve at the inlet of the meter?

Favorite Answer

Nope, they should be able to locally isolate that location.

• Ozzie Klunk

Anyway, the gas company tech came here and repaired the valve, the grease had dried out. I'm an HVAC/R tech (retired) myself and I hate being watched so I didn't watch him. He was pretty fast because the pilot light on my old Lennox furnace had not gone out. 

yes it is a "dangerous situation" to open a main supply line

• Ozzie Klunk

You sound like a pro.  Anyway, the gas company tech came here and repaired the valve, the grease had dried out. I'm a tech (retired) myself and I hate being watched so I didn't watch him.  He was pretty fast because the pilot light on my old Lennox furnace had not gone out.

There would be a shutoff valve buried where your service connects to the underground supply mains. But if it's a quick replacement, probably they would do it without the need to turn that valve off.

• Ozzie Klunk

No, there isn't a valve there.

• zipper

That all depends on which side of the meter the value is located. if it is between the meter and street YES!

Unlikely. They will just swap the valve rapidly with the gas live. A small puff of gas is harmless. Unless they smoke of course.

yes. that is exactly what has to be done

Everyone in your household should know where the main water shutoff valve is ... A ruptured line, burst pipe, or sewage backup can wreak havoc on your ... The water meter should also be able to tell you if you have a plumbing leak ... If you are still unable to locate your valve, your trusted local plumber or utility company ...

• y

There is a shut off before that meter, the only reason to shut off gas to the area would be if the leak is before that shut off or that shut off is damaged, which does happen.

• Ozzie Klunk

That is the location, the hand valve, (Yahoo won't let me say gas c***), before the meter/.

That would depend on how their pipes and valves are compared to where the leaking valve is. Could go either way.

• Sandy

if the gas company deems it necessary then yes. better safe than sorry.