Does the gas company have to shut off the entire neighborhood in order to replace a leaking valve at the inlet of the meter?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Nope, they should be able to locally isolate that location.

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      8 months agoReport

Anyway, the gas company tech came here and repaired the valve, the grease had dried out. I'm an HVAC/R tech (retired) myself and I hate being watched so I didn't watch him. He was pretty fast because the pilot light on my old Lennox furnace had not gone out. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

yes it is a "dangerous situation" to open a main supply line

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      8 months agoReport

You sound like a pro.  Anyway, the gas company tech came here and repaired the valve, the grease had dried out. I'm a tech (retired) myself and I hate being watched so I didn't watch him.  He was pretty fast because the pilot light on my old Lennox furnace had not gone out.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

There would be a shutoff valve buried where your service connects to the underground supply mains. But if it's a quick replacement, probably they would do it without the need to turn that valve off.

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      8 months agoReport

No, there isn't a valve there.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

That all depends on which side of the meter the value is located. if it is between the meter and street YES!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Unlikely. They will just swap the valve rapidly with the gas live. A small puff of gas is harmless. Unless they smoke of course.

• 8 months ago

yes. that is exactly what has to be done

• 8 months ago

Everyone in your household should know where the main water shutoff valve is ... A ruptured line, burst pipe, or sewage backup can wreak havoc on your ... The water meter should also be able to tell you if you have a plumbing leak ... If you are still unable to locate your valve, your trusted local plumber or utility company ...

• y
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

There is a shut off before that meter, the only reason to shut off gas to the area would be if the leak is before that shut off or that shut off is damaged, which does happen.

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      8 months agoReport

That is the location, the hand valve, (Yahoo won't let me say gas c***), before the meter/.

• 8 months ago

That would depend on how their pipes and valves are compared to where the leaking valve is. Could go either way.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

if the gas company deems it necessary then yes. better safe than sorry.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.