Can i get an estimate on how much it would cost to fix heating in car?

The heat takes forever to get going and doesn't work very well once it does. If I crank it to the highest it shuts off I have to have it on the next highest setting for it to even run. Also no AC in the car if that has any significance.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • hart
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

probably you need a new thermostat

• k w
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

is it thermostat related? heater core related ? not enuf antifreeze related ?.clogged up radiator?... too many unknown questions.....from 50 bucks to 500 bucks.....or more

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Any mechanic would have to see it first(as you described several possible problems "it could be" in the 50 words.

You did not give make or year of "the car".  Consider that there is a hundred+ cars it could be(and they are all DIFFERENT) is why it has to be seen. If it is a VW air cooled beetle then heat is non existent anyways. Heater works fine in the summer and A/C works great in the winter.

. Some checks take 2 minutes...with an eyeball they can SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.

I know you got an electrical problem(worn out parts) and a mechanical issue(more worn out parts)

I know because I have had it. BOTH in fact at the same time like you.

Should not take more than 4 hours to fix. More "Pita" work than anything.Really depends on the car and access to the problem parts. So it is mainly "TIME" you are paying for.  That is WHY they got to see it.  I don't know shop rates out in your area so shop around.

Or, if you got the tools...screwdriver and hand wrenches and a garage to work in near a beer fridge...(I hate working in the dirt driveway...without tequila.) you could do it yourself.  You need a ride to a junk yard to find your car and pull out the blower fan motor and the electrical switch(maybe, might as well) The car has been just sitting there so the fan has not been used for awhile.  Chances are it is perfectly fine. Maybe costs you $5. Even $10 is a steal considering a new electric motor is about $80-120.  Worth the gamble.  If it don't work you can bring it back & EXCHANGE IT FOR ANOTHER ONE.  Your money is gone. So only exchange. More than one model of car has the same exact fan motor as the yard is full of cars...so chances are good you will find what you need.

. In the junkyard you will see where it is located and how to take it out with least damage to practice on before you work on your own car.

Shops won't do the junk yard thing and order up a new fan motor.  When your car may be 30 years old already, does not make much sense to put in a brand new part when an old one will do for as long as you will own the car(which may be another 5 years or less-or more)

that is the fan(electrical)

Mechanical is the GATE.  You have a hot/cold slider lever or dial on the inside of the car on the dash.  See what that controls.  That is the gate. Sometimes made out of metal, but many of them made out of plastic. Replace it with a NEW ONE. Nothing else. It is good.  As it does essentially work, then everything else is right.

.  This does mean you got to work on the car when it is cold(unless you are into scalding hot coolant down your armpits)  You drain when engine is cold...by pulling lowest rad hose and dribble into a 3 gallon clean bucket that is not re-used for FOOD.  I use old plastic ice cream buckets as they hold  1 gallon.  You need to remove at least half of the coolant.(after the job is finished they can be pitched into the garbage-not recycling.

Now you can disassemble and do the work. 

If ye be FAT, then flexing yourself around like a pretzel is not going to happen...and you have to do this type of work with long arms too.

Funners.

• 3 weeks ago

The last car I worked on that did that was a Chrysler 200 and the heater core was plugged up.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Yes, you CAN get an estimate, but not here.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It depends what the problem is.  Maybe a hose is pinched close?  Maybe the heater for the cabin needs to be replaced?  Maybe just a valve is stuck?

Until you know what the problem is, a price is meaningless.

• 3 weeks ago

Sure.   Take it to a shop and get an estimate.

Better yet - get more than one.

• 3 weeks ago

Sure. Take it to a mechanic and they'll be glad to give you an estimate. You haven't even said wtf the make, model and year are.

• 3 weeks ago

If you take the car into any mechanic shop they will give you an estimate.  Without examining the car we can not guess what part(s) will need to be repaired or replaced.  There are several things (blower, thermostat, switch, resistor, etc.) that could be the issue.

Normally there is no link between the heat and the AC.  Usually if the AC is not working, it needs to have more Freon gas added, which has nothing to do with the heat system. 

• Bill
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Yes, you can take the car to a mechanic and get an estimate. If it doesn't work at the highest setting, that could be the blower, the switch or the resistor. The blower would cost the most to fix.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.