Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 4 weeks ago

Is it wrong for people to sleep there way into power and then turn it around and call sexual harrasement?

If some actors and actresses weren't good enough, and only got a job because they slept with a director, isn't it wrong to then say they where sexually harassed?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

"Is it wrong for people to sleep there way into power and then turn it around and call sexual harrasement?"

The basic answer is Yes.

Our understanding of a "victim" is based on someone who has no choice in the matter of the action that oppressed them.  If one is actively participating in any exchange where they even knowingly have the slightest potential of gain, then that is not the same thing.

Gynocentricity is what has our society allowing women to claim victimhood when things don't work out for them in any interactions with men. EVEN if they themselves freely made bad choices.  For the rest of us, it turns our that we are responsible for out choices and freely made actions regardless of our predicament.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No. If someone in power makes someone else f#ck them to get a job, it's illegal. Period. I'm grossed out by people who go along with this in an attempt to claim some kind of "control" -- but it's not real control and it's still abuse of power.

• 4 weeks ago

Totally. Bitchez been using they sex for centuries to get what they wanted. Someday the world will go back to actual rape being the only thing people get in trouble for.

• liz
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Yes that would be wrong.  And I doubt a claim for harassment would succeed if it was proven that an actor/ actress was awarded a job they weren’t qualified to have on the agreement they’d provide sexual services in exchange. 

• liz
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

If they are already qualified then it’s not a case of “ sleeping to the top”.  See the question.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mmm J
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Define "wrong". Our definitions may differ.

• Elana
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

In court, just who do you think would make the case that the actors weren't good enough to be otherwise promoted?

If the plaintiff makes this statement, they might win the case, but the actor will never work again.

If the defense makes this statement, he or she has basically ceded the argument.

The ASSUMPTION (by the court and the parties), going into court, is that the actor in question is capable of the job.  Indeed, at bar is whether or not the defendant made the sex an unreasonable requirement, not whether or not a bad actor would be promoted beyond their capability.

I'm not saying there aren't unworthy actors who have tried to use sexual harassment statutes to their advantage, but one's ability as an actor are very hard to look at objectively.  No judge is going to say "As a matter of law, you are a bad actor."

Though the possibilities for interesting trial transcripts are endless.

For the more general (non actor related) case, certainly there have been people who have taken to abusing the way they were abused.  That doesn't effect their innocence or guilt, though I suppose it might have some effect on the sentencing.

I guess my question is more fundamental:  Is it wrong to sleep your way to top?

Clearly the employers who succumb to such temptations are in the wrong, but is it wrong for the person doing it?

Is this not simply a variation of "pretty people have better lives"?  I'm not saying it's fair, but isn't it the greater reality that we're all stuck with?

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It’s proven to be a very successful strategy.  

• 4 weeks ago

They weren't sexually harassed; not only that they brought it on to themselves. True sexual harassment is not chosen it happens all on its own.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.