Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

Titus 3:9 But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.?

Is this a confession that Christianity has failed to prove Jesus had any lineage to be the Jewish Messiah?

How are they "unprofitable and worthless"?

• Hogie

They are unprofitable and worthless because they do nothing to contribute to, or affect one's salvation. 

Back then, there were quite a number of Jews who insisted gentiles had to keep the law in order to be saved. We have the same problem today. There are legalistic churches that still insist one must keep the law.

“Anonymous”, the authentic humanity and divinity of Jesus Christ are known and correctly acknowledged only through operations by the Holy Spirit, and by believers receiving a fresh endowment of “life essence” (we say, breath; spirit; divine substance; word).  Using finite tools of human intellect, logic, and willpower, there can only be well-meaning conversations and discussions that rely on carnal reason, history, philosophy, politics, science, and “secular knowledge” that do not respond to the multiple streams of sacred truth.  There are many subtleties (barely visible differences; hidden and sudden shifts in meaning and value) that contribute to spiritual confusion including tracing inheritance, property ownership, and transfers of wealth.  Consider again the following that uses language from the Bible, and a selection from the music ministry of Wintley Phipps: 

1.  Exodus 4:  22-24, King James Version (KJV):  22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:  23 And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me:  and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn. 

2.  In the plan of GOD for ancient Israel, there were to be no disputes about property ownership and the transfer of wealth.  The economy of their nation was to be stable, and every family received an allotment of land and resources that were to be maintained in perpetuity by sacred law that included provisions for assistance to the poor as well as for sale and recovery of the land (redemption; jubilee).   

3.  The lawful inheritance of Jesus Christ as a son of man included the provision of a “promised land” established through promises to Abraham, acknowledgment by divinity as a son of GOD by the proclamation of GOD through Moses, and the covenant to continue dynasty and rule over the people of GOD as a nation on the earth  through one from the house of David. 

4.  Hebrews 8:  7-12, KJV:  7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. 8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:  9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.  10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts:  and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:  11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord:  for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.  12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. 

5.  Isaiah 63:  16, KJV:  16 Doubtless thou art our father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not:  thou, O LORD, art our father, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting. 

There is far more that should be said, correctly examined, and spiritually apprehended.  (For example,  6.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1chIw0lq3qc

Youtube thumbnail

.)  Even so, I trust this fragment will be useful.  Be it unto you according to your faith. 

Image downloaded 2:05 PM, November 12, 2019 @ www.homesteadessentials.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/8e26a607badda9d70853fc8c1cb6b15a-bible-verses-quotes-scriptures.jpg 

THE BLACK PHOENIX 

Washington, DC

Source(s): Years of prayer, study of the holy writings, and life experience. For more, use the links, here, to some of my other answers.

First of all, there was nobody better than keeping genealogies than Israel.  The genealogical records were kept in the Temple.  At the destruction of the first Temple, the genealogical records were destroyed.  When Israel was freed from the Babylonian Captivity, they set about to rebuild the genealogical records.  Anyone who could not prove that they were of the House of Israel were not allowed to return and be part of Israel.  Those records were also kept in the Temple.  So that's the first thing. 

Secondly, the first chapter of Matthew lays out Jesus' genealogy based on the genealogical records of the Temple. 

We also know that Jesus was a descendant of David the King because Joseph and Mary went to Bethlehem to take part in the census because Joseph was a descendant of David the King.  The law said you had to go back to the home town of your family line.  David was born in Bethlehem.  This enabled Jesus to be born in Bethlehem, which is also called the City of David, to fulfill prophesy that the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem. 

We also know this because the people who recognized Jesus as the Messiah called Him the Son of David, also a fulfillment of prophesy because the Messiah would be a descendant of David the King. 

We also know this because the chief priests and Pharisees themselves told Pilate that Jesus was a descendant of David; i.e., that He was heir to the throne of David.  They knew this because of the genealogical records in the Temple.  Interestingly enough, this means that Jesus could prove His lineage.  When the Second Temple was destroyed in 70 AD, the genealogical records went with it.  That means anyone claiming to be Messiah after this has a false claim beacuse they can in no way prove -- like Jesus could -- that they are descended of David the King.  Also a fulfillment of prophesy from the Book of Daniel, Chapter 9 which says the Anointed One would come before the destruction of the Second Temple. 

As far as foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions and quarrels, this is not talking about one's genealogies as much as the argument of, I'm better than you because my dad is...or my uncle is...or stuff like that. 

You know about foolish controversies and dissensions and quarrels.  "You're a Christian, you shouldn't eat meat because it's not nice to animals.  Forget the fact that God says you can eat as much meat as you want.  Or...if you're not baptized as a baby it doesn't count, or my faction is better because it's led by this guy instead of that one.  Foolish controversies, dissensions, and quarrels.  I heard a guy arguing with another guy one time -- I kid you not -- which did God create first, the heavens and then the earth, or the earth and then the heavens?  They argued this quite a bit as if it mattered on whit to salvation, or knowing God at all.  These are the foolish controversies, dissensions, and quarrels of which Titus speaks.  Aren't those foolish things?  Yes.  Do they profit anyone?  No.  Are they worth anything at all?  No.  That is why Titus says to avoid them.  Has nothing to do with the lineage of Jesus at all, just don't be fools and argue about stuff that doesn't matter anyway. 

Hope that helps. 

• No Because it has been utterly proved in the bible.   but since you refuse to see the obvious truth talking to you about it is unprofitable and worthless

It did not say that genealogies are unprofitable and worthless. It said that having "foolish controversies" over them is unprofitable and worthless.

If having a genealogy of Jesus was worthless, why would have both Matthew and Luke included them in their gospels?

And why would Paul have written about the lineage of Jesus multiple times? Why would it have been one of the subject of the book of Hebrews?

What the verse says is fighting over them is worthless.

• Rebecca
      4 weeks agoReport

No scholar denies the existence of Jesus.  They may deny His deity, but no scholar denies that He even existed. 

• Jeff

LOL - they can't even prove that jesus is real, or that he ever actually existed.

• Rebecca
      4 weeks agoReport

How do we know Aristotle existed?  He is mentioned ONCE in a writing from one guy to another.  There are over 70,000 letters in existence today that mention Jesus, including Flavius Josephus, including Pliny the Elder and Younger, including Tacitus.  Your assertion is just flat out false.

• Justin

Anything deemed to be 'foolish' has been identified in scripture as based in atheism, so anything argued above it is sophistical and leads only to endless 'dissensions and quarrels.' That is the proof of its foolishness.

"The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds; There is no one who does good." (Psalm 14:1).

3"For the dream comes through much effort and the voice of a fool through many words." (Ecclesiastes 5:3). 

For example, the great effort you are going to while attempting and failing to convey that Jesus Is not GOD, implying also that GOD's promise to Israel to come to them as a 'Man and Prophet like Moses' (Deuteronomy 18), was somehow false, thus, reinforcing the intellectual squalor of your base premise; the supposed non-existence of GOD, i.e. 'foolishness' itself. 

That is what is 'unprofitable and worthless.' The lineage connections of Christ have already been self-evidently established. 'Revisiting' them is a sign of foolishness. 

What else might be the motive?

NO IT IS NO SUCH THING...THE FALSE TEAChers were basing their heresies on genealogies and speculations about the law....USE A SCHOLAR BIBLE..

No. If you had read 1:10-16 you would know that was what was being referred to was men creeping into Christian households to try to corrupt them for financial gain. They were promoting Jewish myths and trying to command Christians to obey things that Christians were under no obligation to obey.

It is unprofitable and worthless to try to reason with men who are out to corrupt and tear down the Christian faith. They detract Christians from doing the work of sharing the good news about Jesus, and doing what is good (3:8).

Jesus IS the Jewish Messiah, and the unprofitable and worthless of this is bickering about Torah and who is Jewish or not, etc.   It just means that we are to focus on the Messiah and how we follow him, and let the other things go. Not everyone will always agree on details, but it shouldn't fracture the body of believers.  It does, but it shouldn't.

It was to tell Jews back then to not worry about who was Jewish because the Gentiles were equally able to receive grace.  There's only one law for Jews and Gentiles, so it doesn't matter, and when you argue about it, it makes everyone involved lose what should be their focus.

• Jennifer
      4 weeks agoReport

I assume you believe in things like spontaneous generation, for which there is no proof.  But I don't constantly demand it knowing that.  Why would I?  I'm an adult.