Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 4 weeks ago

i've always wanted to write poetry, but i dont know how. do you have any tips or advice?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

As JimmyC said, yes, read a lot of poetry, and not just crappy Instagram Rupi Kaur junk. Get some anthologies containing poems by different poets from different countries and periods of history. And yes, get some books about reading and writing poetry. Some good ones are: "How Does a Poem Mean?" by John Ciardi, "A Poetry Handbook" by Mary Oliver, "Making Your Own Days" by Kenneth Koch, "In the Palm of Your Hand" by Steve Kowit. If you go to the library and find these books you'll probably find several other useful books near them on the shelves.

• 2 weeks ago

Make up your own rules, start writing, see what you like, then search around for some poet you find to be interesting. Anyone can do better than modern poets like Sylvia Plath or Charles Bukowski.

• 3 weeks ago

best advice ever: start writing

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Think about something or someone or an idea or topic you really care about.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Make sure the last word of every other line rhymes.

• 4 weeks ago

Read good poetry to be able to learn how it's done.

Then try.

• 4 weeks ago

Read some Shakespeare you will find it to be very inspiring and helpful, I would recommend Macbeth as it is much easier to understand or maybe Hamlet if you are up for a challenge.

• 4 weeks ago

Read poetry. Find books on poetry. Learn about things like iambic pentameter. Study the subject. Start writing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.