eating too sweet causes diabetes?

I drink a lot of soda and chocolate am I at risk for diabetes because of this? I'm not obese, I'm 21 years old.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Shay
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

It is a RISK FACTOR.

It is NOT a guarantee.  

There is NOTHING you can eat that will guarantee that you get diabetes.  That includes eating a lot of sugar.

There is also NOTHING you can avoid that will guarantee that you don't get diabetes.

Your eating habits is just one of many risk factors that might determine your future health issues.

You know that too much sugar is not a good thing so it is better to cut back BEFORE your health forces you to do so.  

• 4 weeks ago

It's a major risk factor for type II diabetes.

• David
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Cause? perhaps.   symptom, definitely   

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

i think its possible so i would cut down on all that

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Read up on diabetes so you have the facts

• 4 weeks ago

You don't have to be obese to get diabetes but obviously too much sugar isn't good but that line can be hard to determine before it's too late. Other risk factors also include hereditary, sedentary and other eating habits.

• 4 weeks ago

We used to think diabetes was caused by eating too much sugar.  But these days we don't think that anymore.  These days we see diabetes as a time-bomb in your DNA, that's set to go off at a certain age. 

Years ago people saw a correlation between diabetes and a 'sweet tooth'--people who liked sweets and ate a lot of them (and were fat) got diabetes so we thought that caused it.  Today we see it as just another sign of the diabetes gene, that you like sweets.

Mind you these are both just theories, based on the accumulation of statistical data over the years.  EITHER WAY it wouldn't hurt you to eat less candy/desserts/pastries/soda/etc. and to get regular exercise.  And if you have diabetes in your family, to get your blood sugar tested every so often.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.