What’s the highest/lowest you can tune all six guitar strings before they either break or get too loose to make a descent sound?  ?

• Me2
    Best Answer

Wound classical strings are quite fragile, particularly the 4th (D).  Using D'Addario Pro-Arté nylon or composite hard tension, I tune the D a semitone sharp for open-A♭, but would be unwilling to go further, although the composite D might survive higher pitch.

A steel-string guitar's well-braced top absorbs much of the string tension.  A classical guitar is more lightly built, with the strings anchored differently and, as a result, significantly greater string tension is apt to lift the bridge, which unlike a steel-string carries the entire strain.

While tuning each string to just below the breaking point, I'd expect the bridge-soundboard joint to fail before all the strings had been tuned.

While tuning each string to just below the breaking point, I'd expect the bridge-soundboard joint to fail before all the strings had been tuned.  Unusually heavy strings likely would be usable detuned to about a half octave.

• mars

Drop-C on the bass string is very low. The high E tuned up to A or B is max.

• Tony B

Robert's answer is correct. It depends on the guitar and the strings.

A guitar with a longer scale length (like a typical Fender) and heavy gauge strings could be tuned quite a bit below standard tuning and a guitar with a shorter scale length (like a typical Gibson) and exceptionally light gauge strings could be tuned well above concert pitch. Both guitars would make an acceptable sound and, if setup correctly, be playable.

Like Robert, I really have no idea of how low or how high a tuning would be possible (occasionally I use Dropped D, DADGAD or even an open tuning but I have never wanted to tune the whole guitar up or down). A lot would depend on the player. Lower tunings would require a lighter touch whilst higher tunings would be harder on the finger tips.

• I’ve seen BEDGBE player before. I assume one could go as low as B standard. How high can one get is the the real question?

That depends on the guitar and on the specific strings.

[I'm assuming a well -made electric guitar].

Use ultra-lightweight strings and you could tune a lot higher than normal.

Use extra heavy strings and you could tune far below normal.

The guitar would need some mods to the nut etc. and setup changes, especially to take thicker strings and tune lower.

I don't know the exact range, it's not something I'd want to try - but I'd guess around six semitones either way, possibly a bit more.

• Andy C

Depends on the guitar.