Should I retake the SAT?

Hi! I'm a high school senior who just got accepted into his number 1 school. I am registered for the December SAT. Is it worth it to take it again, now that I have gotten into the college of my choice? Will my financial aid get better with better tests scores? My score was already good to begin with. A 1260 and a 1230, both slightly above average for the college. Will I get more money if I retake the test and do better?

SAT   

The SAT is a standardized test widely used for college admissions in the United States. Since it was debuted by the College Board in 1926, its name and scoring have changed several times; originally called the Scholastic Aptitude Test, it was later called the Scholastic Assessment Test, then the SAT I: Reasoning Test, then the SAT Reasoning Test, then simply the SAT.

• drip

It is rare that a university gives out a scholarship based on a SAT score. You can see what scholarships your university officers and their requirements on the school’s web site.

Your SAT scores has nothing to do with your financial aid. 

Taking it in December would be a waste of money and time. If you are already accepted into university of your choice.   

Probably a waste. Many schools do give out grants and such for academic excellence, but unless you plan on getting close to a perfect score it probably would not affect any decision in that area.

• Squid

SAT has nothing to do with financial aid.  But you need to study up on what "financial aid" means.  It's amazing how few college students understand until they are sophomores or more.

College is free if you do it right.  But hardly anyone does.

• DCM5150
      3 weeks agoReport

Perhaps you should give us all insight on your free college plan

• .

It depends on whether your university ties SAT scores to scholarships.  Some universities do that.  Texas Tech is just one random example.

no, you will not get more money unless you do spectacularly better ... like 1600 or darn close

• Gary

It’s worthless. Don’t take it. It’s a waste of your time and your parents money.