Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 4 weeks ago

My Dell laptop is 9 years old. Is it time to get a new one ? It is awful slow and choppy but I'm not sure?

I think it depends on your use. Even if it is quite slow, but you use it just to type documents, then that could be fine. If the slowness gets in the way of your productivity, maybe it is time to get another computer.

But with a laptop that old I would suggest backing it up regularly. Buy a storage drive and copy your documents/photo so that in case it crashes you are prepared. 

Sadly it has to go - blame Microsoft. I wish my Dell had lasted that long - 9 months in for repair.

Yes the average life span of Dell Laptop is 2-3 years (as you have brought that Dell laptop 9 years ago means that laptop is really old one) and the hardware might have already gone down. So you better get one new laptop (I recommend MacBook Pro 16 inch) and then you don't have to worry about laptop for at least 10 years.

• hart

software conflicts

get a new ssd

• John

I buy a new hp laptop every 3 years to sort of keep up with the latest tech.

If you're not sure, at least make sure you keep copies of your important files on a different medium just in case it throws in the towel at any moment.

• Ludwig

Try changing the hard drive to SSD Add RAM to the max. Replace the operating system to a suitable version of Linux.

Yes. It absolutely is. Just to give you an idea: I have a laptop that cost somewhere around 2,000 which I got 4 years ago. That thing is a power house and at best it will perform well for maybe 4 more years. A laptop from 9 years ago is gonna be even more outdated ESPECIALLY if you paid less than 800 for it. Definitely get a new one. Also if you use it mainly for web browsing, I highly recommend a Chromebook. I guarantee you it will run so fast by comparison, your head will spin.

• abcdef

My Dell laptop is about 6 or 7 years old.  I have subscribed to Dell Concierge Service and I call them about 1 every 2 or 3 months for a check up.  Their technicians are excellent.  And they have installed something called "Support Assist" which is a program which helps clear away unwanted stuff.  But be careful not to allow phony services to take control of your computer.  With the service, they help to speed up the computer when it's working slowly.  I thought I the drivers were working poorly and that I'd need a new computer, but the tech. at concierge dismantled my touch screen and now it's perfect.  That's my experience.  Good luck with yours.

• abcdef
      4 weeks agoReport

It's done by remote control of your computer (over the phone really).  You stay with your computer to watch where they go and what they do.  That's why it's very important to have a service that you trust.  I trust Dell Concierge and have done so since I first got the computer.

I would replace it with a MacBook or other laptop that doesn't run a Microsoft OS.