BB gun range in back yard using plywood?

I am buying my son his first BB gun for Christmas and I wanted to set something up in my backyard to safely shoot paper targets.  I was thinking of getting a piece of plywood set at a 45 degree angle from the grass, with wooden legs to hold it up and the paper target held between the legs by strings.  so when the bbs go through the target and hit the plywood, they’ll ricochet into the grass.  This is just something I thought of quick.  Is this a good idea?

• DIEGO.

good question !

• Mmm J

It depends what is outside the the plywood and target area.

For example, if there is a neighbor's home, sidewalk, street, or any other possibility of someone (or animals) getting hit by stray shots, probably not a good.

If there is a dirt berm behind and on the sides of the target area (and no neighbors or roadway, etc in the range of the BB gun when shots go over the target area) - better yet, your yard is at the base of a mountain and there are no nearby neighbors between your yard and the target area, it may be OK.

Since we can't do a site survey, it is impossible to know if what you propose is truly safe, or not. We also don't know if where you live has any specific laws about shooting (even BB guns) within Law Enforcement's jurisdiction. You might want to check with local codes, too.

That should work, but you may also want to investigate a "pellet trap" or similar.  The advantage is that all the BBs are caught and don't end up in the yard.

Also make sure that your range is designed such than a somewhat errant shot does end up leaving your property.  Either with a big backstop (which for BBs could be dense foliage) or just having enough extra distance behind the target.

That should work fine.  

One improvement.  Staple gun an old blanket or several layers of old towels on the front of the plywood where the majority of hits will strike.  Other people  in the family (other people = mom)  will quickly become annoyed at the loud sound those BB's make on the plywood.  Doing something to keep the constant noise low will make for a happy family.

Targets a nice for sighting in - but - can get boring after awhile......this is when little boys tend to go shooting crap that gets them in trouble.  (um, me as a kid).  Consider some of the plastic 'self healing' little 'tree' targets that you can hit and they move - put this in front of the plywood. 

Have fun!!    

Yeah that sounds like a great idea. Go for it!