How do you interpret Trump’s words in his phone call to Zelensky, “I would like you to do us a favor though”?

According to the “transcript”, the Urkainian president Zelensky had just said “...we are almost ready to buy more Javelins from the United States for defense purposes.”

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019...

Trump had previously reminded Zelensky, twice, that the United States had been “very, very good to Ukraine.” Trump also noted that “I wouldn't say that it's reciprocal necessarily…” 

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Right after Zelensky asked for the aide, Trump immediately went to what was important to Trump...that he needed a favor, for Zelensky to do something for him to get that aid.  Its like someone asking you for a $100 to solve a problem they are having and you say, ok, but first I need you do me a favor....in other words, I need you do do something first before I give you the $100. Immediately the person asking for the $100 knows that hey if I want the $100, I am going to have to do something.   So now the question becomes what did Zelensky have to do for Trump. The favor had to do with doing something for Trump, investigating not Mitt Romney, not Mitch McConnell, etc..but Trump's political opponent Biden. From the beginning Trump tried to throw out all kinds of lies of what the favor was....including it was fighting corruption in general, but there has not been one ounce of evidence of Trump caring about any other corruption in Ukraine and Ukraine is a country with a lot of historical corruption mostly incited by Russia.  All the other supporting testimony over and over again proves the scheming all had to do with the personal political best interest of Trump, not US national interest of fighting corruption as a general attitude.   Ukraine is a war with Russia and people are dying which makes this particularly disgusting behavior on the part of Trump...who once again was also doing things not in the best interest of the United States but lo and hehold also helping Russia to boot...surprise surprise.

• 1 year ago

So, you are influenced by the "Godfather movies"? You should know by now that Trump works using personal relationships with other top presidents. It is a small club of rulers. Like the easiest way for Ukraine to get some anti-tank missiles is to ask Trump directly, get a quick decision and a plane load would be there the next day. Trump will want something in return. In particular a public announcement of the fight against corruption in Ukraine. Which is for the benefit of both Ukraine and the US, and if he welches both the Ukraine and US will remove him. If the Ukraine president and Trump are aligned, that is a strong back. The democrats are trying to prevent that because Ukraine is the money pit for the democrat retirement fund. The democrats want the corruption.

• 1 year ago

To me this is funny, because I don't think Joe Biden could make "Dog Catcher."  I don't think President Trump would ask a foreign President this without he was testing his integrity since there has been great corruption in the Ukraine government.  To judge President Trump you would have to know his motive and not assume it was to get the upper hand on a political enemy.  

We've had a previous President that couldn't keep his hands off women so why would we want Joe Biden.  Bill Clinton's impeachment process costs Americans greatly.

1 year ago

though  =  first

• Shilo
    1 year ago

The key word is, "though." I interpret that to mean that something is contingent on that favor. 

1 year ago

You are over thinking it girl.

You are blowing it all out of proportion.

Trump did nothing wrong and you know it.

Trump had a perfect call, it was beautiful.

It was lovely, like Tulsi Gabbard.

You and Hillary are jealous the right is in love with Tulsi because she is so beautiful and she is a military hero.

• TomB
    1 year ago

fa·vor

/ˈfāvər/

noun

1.

approval, support, or liking for someone or something.

"the legislation is viewed with favor"

2.

an act of kindness beyond what is due or usual.

"I've come to ask you a favor"

Similar:

good turn

service

kind act

good deed

act of kindness

• 1 year ago

OMG! If it were up to the left a US President would not be able to talk to a foreign leader. SICK

• 1 year ago

Sounds like Trump was following up leads regarding the criminal actions of Joe and Hunter Biden.  That is his job as the chief executive, you know that, right?

Leftists seem to think that doing his job and a good job at that, is somehow impeachable.  You should be questioning Schiff and Joe Biden's motives, not Trump's.  Biden's criminal actions should be what is on trial here.

• 1 year ago

It's a pretty straight forward assertion and so does not require " artistic reinterpretation " .

Source(s): We'd appreciate your help .