MS asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 4 weeks ago

I feel like I have been tricked by Amazon into subscribing for Amazon Prime. Please read below and advise.?

I have been a Amazon customer for many years. Mostly I buy books on history, biography and autobiography. Yesterday, I received an email from Amazon that Amazon Prime has recommended me a book about Feminism in US. Soon after I ordered it, I received another email thanking me for subscribing Amazon Prime and I will be getting a free 30 day trial followed by a monthly subscription. I never wanted Amazon Prime. I feel like I have been tricked by Amazon into becoming the Amazon Prime member. My question is, If I cancel my account, will I have to pay the subscription fee? What should I do?

Favorite Answer

You should cancel. If you are able to cancel successfully before the end of the free trial, then you shouldn't be charged the subscription fee.

• Amy

If you do nothing, then after 30 days Amazon will charge your credit card to renew your Prime subscription.

You can go into your account settings right now and tell it not to renew. In this case, you will not be charged anything, and your Prime subscription will end after 30 days.Or you can call customer support and try to cancel it but keep the option to do a 30-day trial some other time. If you got a discount or free shipping for buying the book through Prime, you will presumably have to pay the full price.

What part of "30 day free trial" isn't clear to you?

Phone Amazon and tell them you want to cancel.  Don't make life more difficult than it has to be.

You need to READ before you click.  

You dont need to cancel your account, just your subscription to Prime...its extremely easy.  I did it recently by accident and changed turned it off...already have Prime in my household (wife).  

You probably did not read the fine print. They gave you a 30 day free trial. You can immediately go to the Prime settings and set it to not renew. Meanwhile take advantage of the free 1-2 day shipping for a month.

No, you do not have to pay for a free 30 day trail.  Go into your Amazon account and cancel prime.

That said, when you are purchasing make sure you review all the items on the check out process not just the ones that you need to click. 

You didn't bother to read what you agreed to.

Yes you can cancel your Prime membership.   If you cancel while you are still in the free trial period, you will not be charged.