If my computer is windows 10 how do I downgrade to windows 7?

I'm not sure what to tell you, why not stay windows 10?

You will have to go into bios and enable your computer to boot (you may have to disable EFI boot to MBR boot, and boot the computer from CD and then when it is booted from CD you will have to install it by deleting all partitions and installing Windows 7 through the CD. 

Note you might not be able to install drivers for devices as they are only design for Windows 10. I did this with Windows xp when Vista came around and didn't work for me. 

Hi, its an easy process to downgrade your operating system. You just need to have the windows 7 ISO file in a bootable pen drive or DVD. You may then insert it in the respective slot. Restart your PC and navigate to the BIOS section from where you can access your storage where Windows 7 is located. you may then boot it from the disk accordingly. I would strongly suggest you to do it from an authorized copy of Microsoft Windows 7.

• keerok

Wise decision! Format the hard disk and reinstall from scratch.

• sirjester099
      3 weeks agoReport

Sure, real wise eh? Support for Windows 7 ends in January so why would your dumb decision be wise?

Not sure about being able to downgrade.  If it's on an older computer that was running 7, then yea, but on a newer computer, most, if not all hardware won't have that same Windows 7 compatibility.

I plan to eventually move over to Linux Mint, and get rid of ALL microcrap products.

Here's my problem.  Since the early 1980's, myself, and including many others bought into what was once Microsoft.  With DOS 6, and then Windows 3.1 and then an upgrade to DOS 6.22.  It was the best of times.

But I guess people need pictures and graphics in order to use a computer, so along came Windows 95.  After installing it, and seeing just how bad the software was, I uninstalled it, and went back to DOS 6.22.  Windows 98SE was a decent OS, but it too had its fair share of crashes.  Windows XP was a very solid OS, as is Windows 7 Pro.

The problem I have between moving from 7 to 10, is less features, and forced upgrades.  When I come home, I want to be able to use my computer.  I'm not expecting to have upgrades install and then completely screw everything up so that I can't use it.

If the people at microcrap can't be bothered to test their upgrades BEFORE they are released, it means they don't care about me or you.  They only care about themselves, and I for one am not going to buy into their bullcrap.  I have been a loyal and dedicated customer of Microsoft since the early 1980's.  And now for them to just throw all of that back in my face???  I won't give them any more of my money because they have shown who they truly are, and what it is they really care about.  And they don't care about their customers. 

• John

Ive owned every version of windows and prefer version 10.

Why downgrade, Win 10 for me has been an improvement over 7. Albeit a learning curve and some time getting personal settings the way I like.

I have another older machine with Win 7 and just fine the way it is.

MS will no longer support Win 7 after Jan 2020, means little, just no more support or updates.

Uninstall windows 10 install windows 7

Microsoft has designed the versions of Windows so that you can upgrade from an old version to the next new one.  But there is no process for downgrading to an older version of Windows.

You would first have to go to the site of whoever makes your PC/Laptop and assure that there are drivers for the video, sound, network card, system board, etc. for your unit.  If there are no drivers(and for any computer made in the last five years there probably will not be), if you revert to Windows 7 those devices may no longer work.  You would want to copy these drivers to an external device like a USB memory stick so you have them to install once the Windows 7 downgrade is complete.

You would then need to purchase a copy of Windows 7 (which they have not sold for about 8 years now).  Good luck finding out that the serial numbers has not already been used.

You would then have to format your hard drive, which is going to wipe everything on it - all your programs, games, music, videos, pictures, and other data.

Then you would have to install the copy of Windows 7. Depending on the unit, the BIOS may or may not allow to install Windows 7.  If it will not, you are toast.

Once Windows 7 is installed, you will need to use the USB device to install all the drivers.  They you will have to reinstall any other programs or games that you want.

Then you will want to go out and buy a copy of Windows.  In January will stop supplying any new updated for Windows 7.  Within 60 days it will be hit by a virus that MS will not update for and it will destroy most Win 7 computers.  To fix it you will have to install your new copy of windows 10.

Make sure you have a copy of the Win 10 drivers saved to your USB stick as you will need them to reinstall Win 10.

• Besides, You can simply use a bootable linux OS CDR or flashdrive for ALL online access with Win7 & never be forced to lose all Your Win7 data from a virus. As well as backing it uo, drivers & all, by creating a complete VM of it.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but indirectly you do not want to downgrade. Unless you are having compatibility issues with Windows 10 and your software then it is a good idea to keep Win10. 

Your best bet is to learn the new OS as best you can. I know a lot of people don't like change, but the reality is changing can be good. Just like Windows 7. People wanted to stick with XP because it's what they knew and loved, but over time they learned Win7. My advice is if you really don't need Win7, then stick with Win10. It's safer. 

The direct answer to downgrade is back up your data and clean install to Win7

-Steve