will i not be able to use the internet with my win 7 computer after microsoft stops supporting it?

i'm one of those people who doesn't want to upgrade to windows 10, i still have a windows 7 custom built desktop computer which i got in sept 2015....all my programs/data and media files are all stored on this computer, and i simply do not want to leave it behind.

an idea i had was to have windows 10 put on another hard drive in this computer so i have both operating systems? but i still would be mainly using windows 7.

i have a good antivirus -eset internet security on my windows 7 machine and malwarebytes premium too..

is there a way i can continue using my windows 7 computer to go online after january, when microsoft stops supporting it?  and just keep on using and enjoying my windows 7 computer in general?

any sensible educated advice welcomed and valued.

I'm with you re Windows 10.  When it was offered free, I was persuaded to load it, rather than continue to use my W7.   I hated it and quickly reinstalled W7.

Now it's said that Microsoft won't be supporting W7, that's a problem.   I've been in touch with another of my IT men and he tells me that Banks, email providers etc may well not allow you to log in from a W7 system for security reasons once W7 is no longer supported, leaving the system open to hacking.   I have Bullguard at the moment.    He is saying either update to W10 or buy a new computer with W10 already loaded.   All of which spells MONEY/cost.  Just coming off an unexpectedly costly year, with my savings dwindling by the day, I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I do hate having a gun pointed at my head re what 'might' happen with W7 after early next year. 

I'm not sure I could cope with having the both systems operating in tandum, if that's even possible?

Haven't you asked this before??

• RockerZ284 weeks agoReport

Since you already upgraded in the past.  It likely that you still have a valid Windows 10 key.  I could be wrong though.

Yes. As long as you install Google Chrome ASAP, you'll be able to use the internet forever. 

• keerok

You still can and despite efforts from microsoft, you will still be able to for some time into the future. I have XP and can still do the internet.

There is something that's called dual booting. You can have two different operating systems on one hard drive.

I tried dual booting. I have not tried putting two internal hard drives with two different operating system on each hard drive.

•  There are also now "Virtual machines" that allow a different OS to be run on the same system by starting either one, then running the other just like a program. You CAN easily install a linux live OS as a virtual machine under Your Win7 for anythiong online, OR You can  Win10 with a Win7 VM.

Everything will work as is, just no further updates. I will be a while before it gets obsolete, maybe another decade.

I still use XP on an older machine, it is becoming obsolete for not supporting newer browsers and internet sources.

Your media stuff will probably last forever as long as you have everything backed up.

• Daniel ... If all You need is a browser & network drivers look into a bootable live linux OS for all online use ... drivers are current hardware specs &  all browsers are updateable to newest possible releases.

• YKhan

No, it doesn't mean that, all it means is that you're going to be entirely responsible for any data breaches that might happen while using it. Personally, I think as long as you're behind a router and a personal firewall, and an AV program, you got nothing to worry about. You will only need to worry if your AV program cuts support for Win 7 too.

• Eva

No problem as long as you use a commercial internet security are virus protection software.

• Quick mention Eva ... They said the same thing about XP & Vista, then websites stopped supporting IE below a certain version - which coincidentally required Win7.

I think you should stop being a spam troll. You've asked this idiotic question many times over the past few years and you don't care about the answers.

Maybe you're too inept to understand the difference between unsupported and unusable. Windows 7 will be end of life by January 14, 2020. That means that MS will no longer provide you with any security updates or patches. That does NOT mean that Windows 7 will stop working. It will still continue to work, you just won't receive any updates nor will MS help you with any Windows 7 problems you may face in the future.

Is that enough reassurance or do you still need more?

• George
      1 month agoReport

Doubt it Dave, M O P is a genuine answerer with many years skill.

• George

" any sensible educated advice welcomed and valued."

I doubt you will want the sensible educated advice offered in any answers but are hoping for support from other uneducated people like yourself!

If you don't want Win 10 ( I don't blame you, I refuse it myself) you will need to install a modern Linux instead to stay safe on the internet.

• .

yes, there are XP users still on the internet