Can I get away with All-Season tires in the Winter?

I live in Southern Ontario and we get fairly amount of snow and it can get cold up to -40.

I have driven for 5 years in 5 winters with all seasons and while I did have my fair share of being stuck and kind of skidding in all seasons, they were in a small Versa.

As soon as I got my AWD CRV, it changed, I had better traction and never gotten stuck, although when I drive on snow its like using shoes on the ice instead of skates.

There is 1 year left on the lease of the CRV so I am not sure if its worth the investment of $900 winter tires when I will just return it.

Also someone said that tire companies do want to make a money out of you.

He was saying he has been driving since 1982 with no winter tires and has survived with no accidents and only 1 skid.

He was saying its more about how you drive, keep your distance, engine brake, and do not slam your brakes and you will survive. He was even saying his neighbor with a Corolla with winter tires got stuck in his own driveway. I mean my friend drives a 2016 Ford Edge AWD with good all seasons.

• Vicki
    Best Answer

First off you can get tires much cheaper.

Second, I highly recommend getting the winters. I wont let my boy drive his car until he does and he has all seasons. We too live in southern Ontario and honestly, you need winters. I have seen - in the last few days - people constantly skidding out. Just about 2 days ago TWO PEOPLE tried to pull out in front of me and both skid and almost caused an accident. In the span of like... I swear to god 10 minutes. Get the snow tires. Our winters suck, you need them. My boy drives a honda, he can't not skid unless driving a good 20 km below the speed limit. Please make it safer for yourself and everyone around... Please.

• Vicki
      4 weeks agoReport

Accord maybe. It's an older one. I'm 80% sure it's an accord actually. He's not allowed to drive without winters. His car can't not skid with the all seasons.

If you drove 5 years with All Season tires, then I am sure that you can get through a 6th.  The AWD should give you an extra edge, too

How lucky do you feel?  You  may get away with it, you may not.  You do realize you are asking us to predict the future?

You can, but if you get a lot of packed snow or ice, you will lose traction more often.

• George

Fancy, living in a country where you need to change tyres for winter! Never have to do that in UK.

Yes, the key is "All-Season tires"

Personally, I would prefer two sets of mounted on rims tyres.

Four matched Studded Snow Tyres.

Four General Road Tyres.

Balanced Once, then just swapped at end of season.

I have used this system over 30 years. Both on my 2WD and 4WD vehicles.

it might be worth buying if you need it