Can I get away with All-Season tires in the Winter?

I live in Southern Ontario and we get fairly amount of snow and it can get cold up to -40.

I have driven for 5 years in 5 winters with all seasons and while I did have my fair share of being stuck and kind of skidding in all seasons, they were in a small Versa.

As soon as I got my AWD CRV, it changed, I had better traction and never gotten stuck, although when I drive on snow its like using shoes on the ice instead of skates.

There is 1 year left on the lease of the CRV so I am not sure if its worth the investment of $900 winter tires when I will just return it.

Also someone said that tire companies do want to make a money out of you.

He was saying he has been driving since 1982 with no winter tires and has survived with no accidents and only 1 skid.

He was saying its more about how you drive, keep your distance, engine brake, and do not slam your brakes and you will survive. He was even saying his neighbor with a Corolla with winter tires got stuck in his own driveway. I mean my friend drives a 2016 Ford Edge AWD with good all seasons.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Vicki
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

First off you can get tires much cheaper.

Second, I highly recommend getting the winters. I wont let my boy drive his car until he does and he has all seasons. We too live in southern Ontario and honestly, you need winters. I have seen - in the last few days - people constantly skidding out. Just about 2 days ago TWO PEOPLE tried to pull out in front of me and both skid and almost caused an accident. In the span of like... I swear to god 10 minutes. Get the snow tires. Our winters suck, you need them. My boy drives a honda, he can't not skid unless driving a good 20 km below the speed limit. Please make it safer for yourself and everyone around... Please.

• Vicki
      Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

Accord maybe. It's an older one. I'm 80% sure it's an accord actually. He's not allowed to drive without winters. His car can't not skid with the all seasons.

• 4 weeks ago

If you drove 5 years with All Season tires, then I am sure that you can get through a 6th.  The AWD should give you an extra edge, too

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

How lucky do you feel?  You  may get away with it, you may not.  You do realize you are asking us to predict the future?

• 4 weeks ago

You can, but if you get a lot of packed snow or ice, you will lose traction more often.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • George
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Fancy, living in a country where you need to change tyres for winter! Never have to do that in UK.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, the key is "All-Season tires"

Personally, I would prefer two sets of mounted on rims tyres.

Four matched Studded Snow Tyres.

Four General Road Tyres.

Balanced Once, then just swapped at end of season.

I have used this system over 30 years. Both on my 2WD and 4WD vehicles.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

it might be worth buying if you need it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.