Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 3 weeks ago

Flat advice ? Thanks?

Hiya I’m 17 moving into my own flat kitchen bathroom living room bathroom all separate rooms I’f that makes sense . I’m wondering approximately it’s gonna cost me on electric as everything will be run off electric as gas being capped how much roughly a week electric heaters that also

Too many variables- well insulated or cold stone? Panama or Iceland? Shore or mountains? Price of power per kw/h? All electric isn't cheap where I live, but I keep the heat down- just warm enough not to freeze my plants.

• C

If you're not really desperate to move I'd look elsewhere.  Unless your flat is a new build with an EPC (energy performance certificate) rating of A I would not take a flat without gas heating (hey, you could be in the queue for a snazzy housing association flat).  Electric heating is a money pit if you have to rely on electric radiators and emersion water heating.  (Somehow I don't think that this flat of yours is an all-singing, all dancing passiv haus or is covered in solar panels and got a brilliant feed-in tariff, but if it is, go for it!  Those are pretty much the only conditions under which I'd accept electric heating in this country.)

The cost of utilities varies across the UK as does the average fuel required to heat a home which makes sense if you compare Portsmouth with Aberdeen.  The energy efficiency of the UK housing stock varies a lot too and it's a bit more complicated than old = bad, new = good (this is a specialist subject of mine, but I've promised not to bore people catatonic about it), but as a general rule of thumb a new build with double glazing is more likely to be more well-insulated.

Assuming you are taking this flat (seriously, look to move asap to one without electric heating) can you ask the landlord/agency if the current tenants can provide the estimated annual energy consumption in kWhs so that you have something to go on?  This info is provided on every energy bill by law.  Once you have this you can make sensible estimates, though how much you do end up using will obviously depend on your personal habits.  

With the kWh figure you can plug your post code into an online comparison site to see what plans are available in your area.  You can do it without this figure but the results will be more accurate with it.  Not all providers are shown on all comparison sites, or they may hide providers who don't pay the comparison site, so be sure to look for a "show all" link.  Don't necessarily go for the cheapest, many very small providers go bust regularly.  If they do your money will be protected and your electricity won't get cut off, but being transferred is a hassle you could do without while finding your feet in your first place, so be sure to do a quick google for any bad news about your top picks, check Trust Pilot in particular.  You should easily get a good deal in the bottom 1/3.  

Another thing to watch out for is whether this flat has a prepayment meter or not (the ones that use key cards).  Prepayment meters are accepted by few suppliers and therefore can cost more.  Try to avoid properties with those.  Private landlords who insist on them because "all tenants are scum" tend to be difficult landlords.  Some housing associations do insist on them, they rend to be reasonable landlords, but then you're still stuck with the potentially higher bills problem.

One more thing that may be useful to know if your budgeting goes awry and you need to reign it in for a while - electric showers are VERY expensive to run, especially in the winter when the water in the mains is icy cold.  If you love a good long hot shower as much as the next person take a washing up bowl of hot water and a shower puff into the shower/tub and wash from that on non-hair-washing days, maybe using the shower to rinse off only if you can withstand the temptation.  I've known this since my younger days but really forcefully reminded of it the last time I renovated my bathroom and was without an electric shower for a month and saw the difference in the bills.

I've added some links you might find useful:

im a builder in uk ..for many years i maintained a few blocks of flats ..all were electric ...gas in flats is bad news ...the cost depends on your landlord ..they can set the meters ...but if your paying a utility company direct its cheaper ...the average cost for the flats i looked after was £5 a day in winter ..half that in summer ...so a realistic cost would be an average of £25 a week 

Yes it makes sense, your place isn't an open concept space with no walls, you have walls between your rooms.   As far as costs.....  it depends on quality and quantity of insulation in the building, if you have energy efficient windows, efficiency of the heat and air system, how high you set your thermostat, how much water you use, whether or not you leave lights on when you aren't in a room, if you have water saver toilet and washing machine, and the cost of utilities in your area, the list goes on and on.  You can't go by what the previous tenant paid, either, because they may have sat around freezing to death in the winter and never flushed their toilet but once a week.

Sorry, but there's not enough information here to answer the question. However, electric is traditionally the most expensive utility to heat with. You'll need to provide location as utility rates vary, climates make a huge difference, etc. Also, insulation would bea huge factor, or lack of it. In all honesty, you'll have to wait until you get your first bill and gauge from there.