What temperature does an automobile engine get to when in use?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Coolant temp is generally 190 or so. Actual head temp in spots can normally be  higher, Exhausts, of course, much higher.

Air cooled engines vary like crazy.  I'd expect 160 head, maybe up to 300 on exhaust valve, depending on cooling air, passive or forced; and if an oil cooler or not.

• M.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

When asking the operating temperature of a liquid cooled* automotive engine, it's generally the cooling system temperature that we refer to.

The coolant in a warmed-up engine is generally in the range of 180-220° F.

Older cars are around 180-190.

Newer cars are around 200 or slightly hotter.

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Most of the liquid cooled engines have a 185-195F regulated cooling jacket thermostat.

Inboard Marine engine applications also require a liquid cooled exhaust manifold system.

• 3 weeks ago

usually 100 degrees C but colder in winter

• Anon3 weeks agoReport

73.5 C is 190 F. And liquid cooled run at  Same tempos, summer and winter. Air cooled will vary like crazy. yes. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • don r
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Temperature varies from one area to another. The cooling system usually maintains operating temperature of up to 224 degrees on the cylinder head and block. The exhaust manifolds will run hotter than that and the intake manifold will be kept cooler than that. The oil sump sheds some heat from the oil to help cool the pistons and crankshaft. Get yourself a non-contact IR temperature gauge and measure for yourself.

• Anon3 weeks agoReport

Simply saying: "most cars.." is sufficient. 

• 3 weeks ago

220 degrees Fahrenheit is average. The radiator fan may not come on until 225 degrees.

If your temperature gauge is fluctuating the first thing to do is let the motor cool down and then remove the radiator cap to make sure there's coolant in the radiator. Don't just look at the reservoir tank,.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Anon3 weeks agoReport

Some air cooled engines still out  there, you know/ . Old VWs and NEW Porsches. Their temps are radically different and vary far more with driving conditions and ambient tempo/. 

• marty
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

For most cars, the normal operating engine temperature is in a range of 195 to 220 degrees Fahrenheit, though most dashboard temperature gauges don’t show an exact temperature.

• david
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Overall, the oil temperature is about the average temperature of the engine. Mine in my Passat (2014) gets to about 190 degrees after it's warmed up and running for a bit. My previous Passat (1995) was around 210 degrees.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.