Mikelli asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 4 weeks ago

Why is it that poetry doesn't have a bigger audience then it currently has?

Best Answer

It has a bigger audience in some parts of the world. In Russia poets fill sports arenas, and poets have a higher standing in the Latin world.

America is teeming with many thousands of semi talented hacks whom the public mistakes for the cream of the crop. This lowers the public evaluation of poetry overall.

There are a number of reasons for this. The confessional poetry of Sylvia Plath is raw and powerful, but it opened the door for hordes of wannabees who just expose themselves on the page with little art. Anyone unfamiliar with the world of literature picking up Charles Bukowski will wonder how he became so famous.

Understatement is a technique highly valued by the best modern poets, but for people unfamiliar with it, understatement tends to go over people's heads. For generations raised on screeching rock and roll and instant gratification, the subtlety of good poetry may just be boring.

• Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

Dood. Yeah.

Because it's poetry. It's not going to save your life or make your life any better. It's nice to read. You may memorize a few lines. It doesn't serve much purpose overall other than in art and expression.

• Mikelli2 weeks agoReport

I disagree with the part were you stated that it's not going to make your life any better.

a bigger audience is not necessarily the best circumstance . . . I get away from the "big audience" . . . 

Because one generation works too much to read, another would rather play video games, and another has multitasked hemselves into being unable to synthesize thought. The poets are those without generation.

I'll say because most people find it boring. At least that's the reason I don't read poetry.

Because sometimes the language is too figurative for the layman

It's in the lyrics of songs, which has a big audience.

• Ravi

Audience is there, resources are at fingertips.

maybe people are just more interested in other stuff

• mokrie

I consider it a waste of time and boring as heck to read.

• Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

Mokrie, I'm so glad I don't have to listen to your yammering about whatever the fcuk you talk about -- Kardashians, the NFL or whatever crap that is.