Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 4 weeks ago

Anyone here own a motorcycle as their primary mode of transportation? ?

I’m talking about not having a car at all btw... I live in a rather suburban area of Southern California and commute 15 minutes on the freeway through somewhat light traffic everyday. I would ride my motorcycle maybe 3-4 times a week if I wasn’t feeling too tired, but ever since I’ve had some car issues I’ve been riding daily. It’s a really expensive fix on a rather expensive car that I’m just not financially ready to deal with. My plan was to sell my car, buy a brand new bike straight out the dealership and take the bus on days That the weather isn’t treating me right. But I’ve heard people say don’t do that, you’re gonna burn yourself out with riding and eventually not enjoy it blah blah blah. So those of you who have owned a bike as your only vehicle or know someone like that share your thoughts, and experiences. Also enjoy your Sunday ride tomorrow ! 

• fuzzy

Girlfriend & I lived for 6 months off what we could carry on the back of 2 bikes while touring around South Australia (including winter)

• Anon2 weeks agoReport

Winter as in Dec. in Aus, or ,Winter Weather as in July?

• Fred

I knew a co-worker in Northern Kansas that only had a motorcycle.  I didn't full time work at his location.  I would see his motorcycle out in sub freezing or near Zero temperatures out buying small items.  Nasty temperatures; out after dark at the grocery store after work! Sometimes with his small daughter... Don't remember him as married and never saw him in a car.

So it can be done!  I myself in younger years I would place a heat lamp under a bike  with a cover over it to keep heat in so it would start in cold weather.

Do I do it today?  .. No!  Temperatures have to be somewhere in a range within 20 years of my age before I even entertain it!  

• adam

Did that for years when I was younger and single. All I needed was my chopper. Saddle bags can hold a lot. Ride to work and anywhere else I needed to go all year long. Rain ? Just ride. Snow? The streets are clear by second day. My bike is still my primary transport but I have a SUV to shop with and chase bike parts .

• Cap'n. America
      3 weeks agoReport

Don't worry  'bout TDs, they can Lick  your Primary..(Snow on Mt Lemmon)

I've been riding since the past 15 years and... I don't even know how to drive! Well technically, I do, but my driving skill is comparable to a 14 YO at best. Can't drive my fiance's manual Volvo, thanks to clutch pedal. My left foot is used to gear shifts, not clutch! In fact, the whole driving experience feels odd and even downright stupid. Might be able to drive an automatic without much problem, though.

In short; I can handle a fire breathing superbike, but not a bloody old Volvo!

Anyhow, the reason is simple: Owning a car here is pointless thanks to mile long traffic jams almost everywhere you turn. Whereas with a bike, I can easily conquer this problem all thanks to lane splitting.

Without lane splitting, I'd rather use the subway or perhaps ride a bicycle and use cycling lanes or worse yet, learn how to drive my fiance's Volvo!

-POD.

• Anon2 weeks agoReport

T's are a Pain on a long grade, gotta  hold the pedal down. Some require you  Back Up a hill so fuel can run to carb. 

• REV B

I got soaking wet and had to go to work cold and wet, some days it was freezing cold and I ended up giving up riding for good after I got hit on a dry sunny day!  Laid up in a hospital, lost my job, and evicted from my apartment because I had no income, and driver was broke and didn’t have insurance, so I couldn’t sue. I ended up losing about $59,000 in all because I wanted to ride a motorcycle. Still want to ride one?

I used to use a bike as my primary transportation, up here in the Bay Area.  I had a car but I only used it when it was raining, or when I needed to carry more people or something big.

The best thing about riding a bike on clogged freeways is that in California you can lane split.  So when traffic isn't moving at all you can ride up between the columns. 

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

In many states, you can lane split.  It  isn't specifically illegal but you  can get it for reckless D. if cause accident. So can a lot of things be lumped under "R D".

• Tim D

I own three bikes currently, I have not owned a car for over 30 years.

My current commute, 5 days a week takes between 3/4 to 1 hour each way in all weathers. To do the same trip by car or public transport would almost double that.

None of the bikes are modern – between 15 and 20 years old.

When you get a JOB that wants you to show up RAIN OR SHINE, then a car HAS TO BE an option-especially if your job is construction and that changes from building to building as to what is on a bus route.  If you just work in a factory or go to school then that building won't move so you know your bus route.

Most employers see cars as the ONLY OPTION. Bikes are toys-like Boats. If you are serious about working, then Employers are dead serious about you showing up "no excuses will do"

They will hire out of "I will walk to work to get there pool"

.Work is not "school" where you can miss a bunch of days.  You end up with the low wage "can't count on him showing up" jobs. So pushing a broom.

• Cap'n. America
      2 weeks agoReport

My Motorcycle is Hardly a "Toy". My Prime Mover. I have carried 8' Planks on her. I've Yet to take dog--working on sidecar. Need to beef up primary bearings and clutch. too. 

• bo

my brother in law as a BMW motorcycle and uses it year round in NH looks like an idiot with snow tires on it and bundled up like a three year old in the snow

• Bort

I'll never get tired of riding. I wish I lived in a better climate so I could ride daily as my primary means of transport but I live in Pennsylvania. The weather doesn't allow riding all year. Well, for most people anyway. Some people ride all year here anyway. It gets too cold for me, and in my opinion it's not safe to ride when there's possibility of ice and snow. You don't have those conditions there so it is something someone in California can do if they choose to.

• Cap'n. America
      3 weeks agoReport

And in 116 degrees in Phoenix coming home from Mormon Lake.   I-17 traffic  jam, we just lane splitted.