Who is the best drummer of all time?

Who is your favorite current drummer?  Who is the best of all time?  Which ones get honorable mentions?  This can be from rock, or another type of music if you prefer.

This comes with a lot of personal bias considering I myself am a HUGE Arctic Monkeys fan, but I honestly think that Matt Helders, the Arctic Monkeys drummer is the greatest drummer of all time. If you need ANY proof please please please listen to 'whatever people say i am thats what im not', , and from 'favourite worst nightmare' Brianstorm and Teddypicker! Also- the view from the afternoon and a certain romance! aside from the amazing drumming, they are some of my favourite songs ever!

hmm best drummer  keith moon uf the who

My favorite drummer is Bill Bruford. His drumming on The Yes Album, Fragile & Close to the Edge is astounding. 

For me, honorable mentions are Mitch Mitchell, Stephen Morris, Topper Headon, Boris Williams, Reni & Loz Colbert. 

Best Of All Time John Bonham

Honorable Mention Keith Moon

GingerBaker................................ 

• Vince

Current drummer: Tommy Lee (Motley Crue)

B.O.A.T.: John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)

Although I like all different kinds of music in general I think maybe jazz drummers are the most technically proficient.There’s a large consensus that believes Buddy Rich was the best of all time. Like that his playing was at such an incredible level that people thought maybe he was from another planet. A guy I was talking to recently who plays the drums somewhat and is pretty smart said that he thinks Dave Steckl who played with Chick Corea’s Electric Band is way up there among those still living,  (assuming he still is alive). I did check out some older YouTube videos of him and he seemed pretty darn good.  I guess it really comes down to a matter of personal preference because technique isn’t the only factor. You just have to like a drummer’s style, also. . Like I don’t know if Ginger Baker of Cream was/is considered one of the ‘best’, although he was considered a top rock drummer (or jazz/rock/blues fusion drummer depending on how you wanna classify Cream’s music) I liked his style of playing, footwork, etc, and what it did for Cream’s sound overall.  Even if he wasn’t a Buddy Rich. He just was a good fit for that trio. 

• Binks

My favorite drummer of all time is Bill Bruford. I just really like his style. My current favorite drummer is Pat Mastelotto, of King Crimson and is currently with a band called O.R.k..I also like Gavin Harrison, Dennis Chambers, Terry Bozzio, and Mike Portnoy.

1. Grant Hart

2. Grant Hart

3. Colm Ó Cíosóig, Dale Crover, Clifford Jarvis, Robert Wyatt, Flo Moneir, Hellhammer, Nicholas Barker, 

Source(s): nothing
    • Chad⚡️
      3 weeks agoReport

Takk. As I grow older I have come to value weird timing over speed. 

Gene Krupa is one I can think of