I need to choose from a 2011 ram 2500 Cummins with 160k and a 2015 ford f150, 2.7 EcoBoost with 77k. Similar price. Which should I get?

Depends on what your needs are.  If you're towing something over say 6,000 pounds regularly (like more than 3 times a month), the Dodge wouldn't be a bad choice, it would be the superior tow vehicle. With that said, the overall reliability of the Ram would be subpar. The Cummins engine is rock solid, but the rest of the truck is suspect.

If you're just looking for a truck to be a daily driver, and maybe doing some towing every once in while and making Home Depot runs on the weekend, the F-150 is going to be the better choice. It'll be more reliable overall,  have a lower operational cost, no rust, it's faster, easier to park,etc. 

• Bort

I dry heaved reading about a (F-word) Cummins being in a Ram. I wouldn't choose either of those. Personally I would look for a Dodge truck with a dodge V-tech or Hemi motor. Fords...there's a big blue logo on the tailgate. They circled the problem.

• fodaddy19
      3 weeks agoReport

Cummins have been in Dodge trucks for 30 years now. It's nothing new. And what's a Dodge V-Tech?

You will be changing the cam phasers on the F-150 after you buy it.  Not a cheap repair.  No to the Dodge.  Keep looking.

• fodaddy19
      3 weeks agoReport

The 3 valve 5.4L was discontinued around 9 years ago....

Personally, I think the option is pretty obvious. I would go with the 2015 Ford F150, and here's why. 

A.) It has a lot less miles. 160k miles is a lot on any car. While there are many cars out there that will make it up over 200k and even 300k, I don't think I could justify buying a car with 160k miles already on it because that is a point where everything starts breaking and you end up putting a ton of money into it. 77k miles is very few miles when compared to the ram. In fact, it is over half. So in terms of mileage alone, it is a no brainier to go with the Ford. 

B.) The F150 is a lot newer thus more likely to be reliable. While it is only a 4 year difference, 4 years can be a lot of time. Just think, backup cameras didn't exist, and then poof, now they're everywhere. Little things like that could make a difference. The 2015 is more likely to have newer and more features, and even if it doesn't have any new features and it just has the same features, it is still more likely to have the features perfected where as some of those features may have just been starting out on the ram. 

Based off of what you have provided, I would go with the Ford, however, do your research on the reliability of both. Look at the specs and towing capacity if you plan on towing anything. Buying a car is a big deal so don't rush into anything. Take the time to look around for information on both. Another factor to consider is price. If the price for one seems extremely low there could potentially be a reason behind that. All I'm saying is be careful. 

Good Luck! 

• John3 weeks agoReport

Well
      The question is, the Cummins can go half a mil miles easily.  How much can the 2.7 EcoBoost?

• Ron

The answer is anything but a dodge