Rawryness asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Why does my cat keep killing her kittens ?

I have a cat whom lately she's been killing her kittens. I understand the stress of a young mother cat can induce this sort of behaviour however, her first ones where super healthy and she was a really great mother,by taking care of them untill they were a year old!! Litteraly! But by time she gave birth on her second, third, and fourth time she started to neglect her kittens and started to kill them. One I manage to try and rescue it. I even place the kitty in a box, wrap up in a blanket only the next day I see a trail of blood with an empty box for she had manage to take it and kill it while I was sleeping. I even woke up very early that day to try and bottle feed it but the kitten was already gone. I also see her hitting her other kittens and acts very hostile towards them. She also neglects them, I took most of them in for this reason. What to do and why she is killing her kittens? 

I'm asking now because she gave birth again today on the roof of my garage and my fear is she will try to kill them...

That mother cat is a stray feral cat and Everytime I get near her and or her children she tends to attack or scratch me. I do not intend to breed kittens nor do I want this mother cat. The only cats that do belong to me is three of her children whom I manage to save because she tends to kill them. I called foster and shelters and they say they will kill them and I will feel bad if they are killed. So before you quick to speculate my problem get a full knowledge of the situation. Thank you

• Laura
    Favorite Answer

This cat needs to be spayed.  Get a live animal trap, most shelters will rent one out to you for a small fee.  Use this to trap her and get her to a vet to get her spayed. 

For right now, I would take her kittens and care for them.  This doesn't mean putting them in a box and checking on them first thing in the morning, this means you are their mother now and need to take care of them.  This means feeding them every 3 hours.  Yes even in the middle of the night.  You also need to clean them and stimulate them to go to the bathroom.  Keep these kittens inside in a small easy to clean bathroom while they grow up.  They will be away from mom so they will learn to like people so you can find good homes for them. 

• Rawryness4 weeks agoReport

Okay seems like a good idea!  I will do that. Thank you :) 

SPAY THE CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She needs to be SPAYED

Sometimes young mothers reject their kittens and others are just fine.   You can't fix them until they are a certain age. There is that to consider. Keep them indoors with no males or ones that are already spaded. 

• Ocimom

The cat SHOULD be spayed - even if she is feral.  Cats will kill the young if they feel they are in danger or they are sick/dying.  The mother cat may have a genetic problem in her that is killing the babies.

cat mothers usually kill unhealthy offsprings. have u tried taking all of them to a vet? those kitten u saved and have as your own? are they healthy?

• Rawryness4 weeks agoReport

I have adopted three of her children which are now grown up, two of them are healthy and one has asthma because he was born with it. I take special care for him. 

• PAMELA

She is fed up with having kittens, get a brain and get her spayed.

• Rawryness4 weeks agoReport

It seems the one that you need a brain because you obviously can't read you're too busy to quick and judge like a close minded person. I said she is a feral cat and I can't get close to her without her attacking me. 

• patty

get her desexed, amazing u did not think of this after the first litter

• Rawryness4 weeks agoReport

The only reason why they are here in my backyard is because they are no other option, they are too wild and I can't afford a trap for them because they are more than 8 cats!!! And!! The mother cat is very agressive I tried getting her from taking her to the vet and get her spayed but she attackedme

Your cat has turned into a conservationist. She has realised the damage that cats do to wildlife and is working hard to protect wildlife from cats.

It is irresponsible to breed cats indiscriminately. You should get the cat spayed.

• Rawryness4 weeks agoReport

I'm sorry but you don't know how to spell. So next time when you want to get back at me learn how to spell!!!! If anything you sound immature and your demeanor is familiar as a kid. 

Because it is too crowded. There are too many cats in a limited space. Get the cat speyed and all the others neutered as well.

Breeding kittens when there are so many strays is cruel and foolish.