Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 3 weeks ago

How Long Does It Take For Atherosclerosis To Develop?

Can someone in their 20's develop atherosclerosis especially if they have high cholesterol but are taking a statin and exercising? How long does it usually take? I also am overweight but have been watching what I eat alongside exercise. I also have no heart issues.

Actually, atherosclerosis starts quite early and is silently progressive. They often find it in young soldiers who have died in battle. Also,, there is a growing trend of people having heart attacks in their 20's and 30's.

• I can only tell you that I have never had a patient under 40 (& that is on the young side) who has had a diagnosis of atherosclerosis. That doesn't mean that there are not any; however, it suggests to me, that atherosclerosis takes years & years of bad diet, drinking alcohol, & smoking to develop to the degree that it is finally diagnosed.

That typed, if you are in your 20s, being 40 or 50 or 60 probably seems like an eternity away. It is not.