joe asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 weeks ago

What is the most traditional US dish?

What would be the US equivalent to Italian Lasagna, Spanish Paella, French Crepes or Mexican Enchiladas?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Best Answer

We're really too large and diverse to have one traditional dish.  Some people might say hamburgers or fried chicken, but others would come up with entirely different suggestions.

Roast turkey with stuffing is served at most American Thanksgiving and Christmas meals, so I think I might suggest that.  Wild turkey was eaten at the first Thanksgiving meal in 1621.

Lasagna's just a type of pasta. It's not the Italian national dish.

• 3 weeks ago

I would say HAMBURGER! To such a point it could almost to be the emblem of the US. lol

• 3 weeks ago

It's all very well for those much smaller, ethnically less diverse, countries to have a specific 'traditional' dish. The USA is a vast country encompassing many different ethnic traditions and cuisines.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Come on, hamburger and fries, other answers are just wrong. Yes, even if they're French fries and hamburgers are named after a German city. We don't do etymologies while we're eating.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

I vote for Kraft Macaroni and Cheese because I grew up on the stuff.  My late mother was a terrible cook, but she was never able to ruin a box of good old Mac 'n Cheese.  

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Hamburgers. In every corner of the country people love a good burger. 

Ribs. Hot dogs. Fried chicken. Pies. Are other possibilities. 

• Captain Lemmy
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Look up the Wikipedia entry for hamburger. There’s at least a dozen different origin stories. One claims it was invented in Hamburg, NY. 

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

"As American as apple pie."  Apple pie was invented by George Washington. Up until he directed his cook to make it, pies were savory and meat- or poultry-based, rather than sweet.

• Lili
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Europeans ate fruit tarts and pies.  Pies were brought tot he US by English settlers, but they were eaten in ancient Rome. The very first known Roman pie recipe is for a sweet cheese and honey pie. Queen Elizabeth I is said to have liked cherry pie in the 16th century.

• Justin
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Hamburgers, french fries, and a soft drink or beer. 

Basically, 'meat and potatoes' along with a popular drink.

When we stray from this, it is usually related to cultural influences brought from elsewhere, religious influences or other more personal influences. Most of what we eat is actually influenced by those 'foreign' identities and customs, but the truly 'American' tradition is centered around meat and potatoes.  

• joe3 weeks agoReport

Are you sure FRENCH fries are traditional US cuisine? why not calling them American Fries then???

• 3 weeks ago

Stuffed turkey, grits, biscuits & gravy, clam chowder and hotdogs & hamburgers. And not to forget - apple pie.

• 3 weeks ago

stew, beef & noodles, chicken soup, with a dash of liberal B.S.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.