Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 3 weeks ago

roommate naps too often?

i’m a college freshman, living in a dorm with a roommate who sleeps more often than she is awake. i’m not exaggerating. she naps between every class on weekdays, and on weekends, she’ll typically wake up around 10, eat, come back at 12 and nap until 6-7.

it’s very frustrating because she’s also the worlds lightest sleeper, so our room is constantly required to be pitch black and silent.

lately, i’ve been getting fed up with it. last weekend, i was going on a date, and told her days in advance. she then decided to take a nap as i got ready for my date. she expected me to get ready in the dark and in silence. i decided to disregard it, and i blasted my music as i got ready with the lights on. that’s what you get for taking your second nap of the day at 7 PM.

today, i was cleaning my room and playing music while i did it. keep in mind, she keeps her side of the room disgusting. i was playing music, and she got mad at me for waking her up. i then snapped back that she can’t expect me to live in complete silence just bc all she does in her free-time is nap. i’ll admit, it was a little mean bc i brought up that she lives in filth and i said “next time just clean with me instead of taking multiple naps!”, but i was fed up. 

i don’t mind if she takes a power nap once or twice a week. i DO mind when she takes 2-3 hour naps 2 times a day, 7 days a week. and by the way, she’s not depressed: just incredibly lazy.

what do i do? am i in the wrong for being “loud” while she’s sleeping?

• Foofa

Sounds like your roommate might have a medical problem. But it's good to know that your priority is getting ready for a date and blasting your music. You can't force her into medical treatment but you can request a new roommate.

• Ocimom

She may have a medical problem but to expect someone to be in the dark and silent while she sleeps is NOT normal and she is being very selfish and rude.  Suggest she find a place to herself because you are not going to live like this any more.  

I would give her one week to change or find a new place.  If she doesn't, then play your music and do what normal people do.

• Some people have... abnormal schedules, I guess, but I would recommend you listen to your music with headphones, even though her taking naps is annoying as hell try to respect her when she's sleeping. I would do the same thing though in regards to getting ready with the lights on and playing music that one time, you should ask her to compromise, because when one person's lifestyle infringes on another person's, that's when you know it's unfair and could get out of hand. Tell her that people don't sleep that much, and it sounds like she IS depressed because of how much she sleeps and how dirty her side of the room is. Ask her about it, and if she just says "that's how I am", tell her you need to be able to come into your own room without her waking up. Maybe she should start wearing earplugs and an eye mask so you can turn on a lamp or something without her getting mad

It sucks living with people right. Well you're just going to have to suck it up. You can try doing something about it, but if it doesn't go well, for you then that's your problem.

I know how it feels living with other people. If I could then I would be living alone right now.

I am close to the college so I go home and sleep a fair amount but I want to spend time with my boyfriend.  So I would find a way around.  If it is too much and you have no life tell her that.  You have your rights to your own life.

She's taking the piss! Don't allow it!  She must be an only child.  Expecting it to be lights out during the day is ridiculous so just turn the light on and tell her to get some blind folds and this is your room too. If she reports you I guarantee they will tell her she is the one who it wrong. And tell her to clean up her filth and that she's a filthy pig.

• Alan H

Some need more sleep than others.

If it does not affect her studies, why worry?

she needs to go see her doctor if shes that tired, she could have some medical issues

I would tell her that, if she takes a nap during the day, to expect you to be coming in and out doing what you need to do, whether it's getting ready for a date, or something else. And let her know that you don't mind setting bed times and wake up times in the morning so you can each have quiet time overnight, but that you aren't going to walk on eggshells if she feels the need to sleep her life away.

You're not wrong, she's rude. And if she's that tired, maybe she needs to see a doctor. I'd tell her that, too. She's far too young to be sleeping all day every day. It would be different if she were sick and had the occasional virus or something, but i dont' think she does.

• Kyle

talk to a counselor or RA if there's one in your dorm, see if you can switch to another roommate that her behavior is affecting your daily studies and other activities.  sure you can go to the library or a student rec room and have some fun, but you should be able to relax in your own dorm too without being super obnoxious, but watch TV or something appropriately.