I have bought a new battery but the laptop shuts  down when showing 90 chrged?

I needed to use the machine on battery power and it started shutting down, my first thoughts were that the battery was dead. I figured the charge indicator was probably detecting false charge levels, thus preventing it from charge to full and then obviously provoking the PC to auto-shut down. I started looking at replacement options, but decided to have one more go at google, looking for someone with similar problems. All I found was more indications of batteries being dead, progressively auto shutting down at higher and higher shown charge levels… Then while poking around the power options on my Win7, I noticed something weird – the Critical Charge Level setting was set to 98% ! The associated action, when the Critical Level was reached, was set to hibernate, which is fine… What was not fine tho, was that I couldn’t change the value on the Critical Charge Level setting. Obviously that was a problem, since usually the PC wouldn’t even charge over 80% to help battery life, the almost instant auto shut-down suddenly made sense. I did a quick a search on google on stuck critical power level setting in win7 and found this article - http://www.howtogeek.com/58109/how-to-l ... windows-7/ - which explains how to fix that particular problem. I will not re-post the solution here, since I have no credit for it, just go and check it, it takes about 10 seconds to fix.

Now that I’ve set the critical power level to a more reasonable, 25%, level my problem is solved, and I didn’t spend 30-40 quid on a new battery. I tested the PC, left it to “run dry” the battery and see when it will start warning me etc, everything seems fine (the discharge rate, etc). I have no idea what caused this, I am 100% certain that when I first bought the laptop it wasn’t like that. My best bet is a windows update that screwed things up. Anyhow, I am glad that there’s a free and simple solution to the problem, and hope others who run into it will find this post before they spend cash on replacement batteries that won’t solve anything.

• keerok

Return battery to the store and ask for a replacement. Don't forget to show the sales receipt.

Stop charging when it reaches 85%.

Where did you buy the battery?

Your battery is defective.

If your laptop shuts down with the battery partially charged the battery is shorted out and needs to be returned it's defective if the laptop runs just fine without the battery in it and then shuts down after the battery charges while the battery is shorted out and it must be returned there are many times I have had the same thing happen bought a brand new battery and found out that it was shorted out

• probably a defective battery. a lot of low cost batteries are defective but in my onion still worth the risk of buying. could also have counterfeit firmware. i know this is possible but i didn't know if scammers are using it to make the battery or pc think the voltages are higher than they are.