Are duraflame logs worth the cost?

Staying at a cabin heated by a fireplace this weekend.  I was wondering if I'd be better off just buying a cord of wood, or picking up a box of Duraflames.  They say they burn for between 3 - 4 hours, and produce greater heat than wood.

Thanks.

A cord of firewood puts out more than 11 millions btus. Manufactured firelogs put out 12-15,000 btus per pound (four pounds per log). So you'd need about $600 for 180 Duraflame logs (30 cases) for the same amount of heat as a $75 cord of firewood. Even at $300 a cord, you'd be much better off simply getting a half-cord of firewood, if you know how to keep a fire going.

Fireplaces are notoriously inefficient at heating, since you only get the direct or reflected radiation and the convection is all going up the chimney, taking the warm air with it.

Because you are only staying at the cabin for a weekend, a cord of wood would be far more wood than you will ever consume in a week-ends time.

I like using the Duraflame logs because they are incredibly convenient. Howsoever they only last from three to four hours if you light them and forget them, without touching them, poking them, rolling them or prodding them. Because once you start touching them they fall apart and burn rapidly.

I would have the best of both worlds by using a combination of Duraflame logs and real wood logs. All the while, supplementing heat in other rooms with an electric space heater. That's how I keep warm in an unheated cabin on Squam Lake in New Hampshire. This way we are not married to the wood stove for 4 days straight on a long weekend.

• Nuff Sed
      2 weeks agoReport

Duraflame fire log instructions: "Do not place wood or any other items on a burning fire log."

• y

late 90's early 2000's. Duraflames where not even close to wood for actual heating. They were good for the ambiance type fire and such that one had once in a while. They were also more convenient for the type of thing you are doing, as a secondary source of heat.

How much wood you'll need varies greatly on the set up that one is using to burn. When I burned, I needed to fill my stove four times a day when the temp stayed below zero. About an armful each time.

• elhigh

A cord of wood = 128 cubic feet of wood, weighs anywhere from 1000-2400 pounds (depending on the wood and how dry it is) and will cost about $200.

You're going to be staying at the place for a weekend.  You don't need a cord of wood.  A cord of wood is good for about a month, used carefully.

Get a box of Duraflames.  

• Nuff Sed
      2 weeks agoReport

I just priced out a cord of firewood in Watertown NY for $70. Unclear if it will actually burn anytime soon.

They are great for starting the fire not for long burning and heat...use real wood.

But for ashort trip they might ve perfect.

• Nuff Sed
      2 weeks agoReport

You can't use Duraflame to "start a fire". They are only meant to used by themselves.

A cord of wood could heat most houses for a month or more. It more than fills the back of a pickup truck. I think that's too much for a weekend. I think a box of duraflames is a better idea.

• Bob

a cord of wood, or half cord,  plus a few durflames to get it started.