Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 4 weeks ago

is PCP rifle a good alternative to .22 LR?

PCP rifle resembles a bolt action rifle without any need to put the ammo.

I'm thinking a .22 PCP rifle with 2000 psi pressure. And I usually shoot from 40 yards away to hunt rabbits.

EG: Diana stormrider

• L.N.

Well it would probably take rabbits at that range without any problem, but it is not really a replacement for a .22 long rifle. The SAAMI specification for .22LR is 24,000 max psi, 1,200fps average for 30gr. Your pellet is about 1/2 the weight and much lower velocity. A .22LR is a lot more powerful.

I wish I was half as smart as the resident expert Adam D. He is a genius when it comes to   anything. Our own expert right here on Yahoo. He should be

on TV.  Ask him anything from hunting to what to wear to a Gay dance. He

knows everything.. I envy him and his bountiful knowledge.  His specialty 

is Gay facts and social graces in a Gay surrounding.  His vast knowledge of

Gay skills amazes me.

• Adam D
      4 weeks agoReport

Your repressed homosexuality is showing

The PCP is clearly the better option. Don't listen to bear crap and Adam D, he always lies and is a big talker I can prove it.

• Adam D

Though there are a number of factors that could fill volumes, from what I've read 40 yards seems like a reasonable maximum - provided the combination of the gun and your skills do the job at that range.

Check the FPS and the foot-pounds of force on both of them.  The .22 LR is much more powerful.  (But yeah, either one would kill a rabbit pretty easily).

A PCP rifle takes a lot of pumping--hundreds of strokes for each shot!  Or an expensive high-pressure pump.  Some people carry a scuba tank to recharge it in the field (and they make smaller tanks) but then you have to refill those.  OTOH you don't need a license or anything.  You can even concealed-carry it!  (But you'll walk really funny.)