The horse I reserved developed a fetlock wound?
Hiya I reserved a lovely mare one week ago. Went to visit her yesterday & she developed a slight scuff by her hoof which was slightly warm. No visible swelling. I asked if she could go on box rest so the mud/moisture doesn’t affect the wound it just looks like a graze there’s no gaping hole or anything.
She isn’t lame.But where do I go from here in regards to completing the purchase ? Do I wait for her to be totally healed? What if the wound progresses & she requires vet care? I know these are things to be discussed with the seller just like to know where I stand as I’m a first time horse buyer. Thanks!
- 8 months ago
You should always have a horse checked over by your own vet before buying it. You don't want to end up with a sick horse that someone is trying to pawn off. And you should always ride a horse at least a few times before you buy.
I usually am really cautious about dealing with people that don't want a vet check first, especially if I don’t know the person. It says something about their experience and the care they will offer once the horse is out of my hands.
That being said if I had someone that was looking at one of my horses have that kind of reaction to a superficial injury that was not really there and make me put it on stall rest then I, as the seller, would back out of the deal. (I swear I'm not being mean by saying that, but going off what info you have given, it doesn’t sound like you have a lot of experience)
If a buyer doesn’t have the knowledge to know that the horse is fine, then they aren’t ready for a horse. It's a disaster waiting to happen and an irresponsable sale. It’s always pretty obvious when a person doesn’t know what they are getting into. If they are okay with you reacting like that to the situation and don’t question selling you the horse, then you might want to make sure the horse is healthy and ride it again to make sure it is trained right and worth the investment.
If you really don’t have a lot of experience, then maybe you should take lessons or lease a horse first to get your footing?
- Verulam 1Lv 78 months ago
Always get the horse vetted before you go ahead with any purchase. There will be other horses if the vetting doesn't come back as it should!!
- partly cloudyLv 79 months ago
If you are concerned about scuff on the fetlock and are considering not buying said horse, don't buy it. It does not sound like you are really ready for a horse. They will get hurt and they will require vet care. It's not "if", it's "when".
- zephania666Lv 79 months ago
If you hold off the sale for a slight scuff, be prepared for the seller to find a new buyer.
She shouldn't be on box rest - standing in a stall makes a horse more likely to swell, not less. She's better off moving around normally.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous9 months ago
You have the right to have a veterinarian evaluate the horse before purchasing. I suggest you do that if you haven't already. You should have a vet check even if there was no scrape on the fetlock.
Why on earth would you lock a horse in a box for a slight scuff? Horses need to move to be healthy, and they poop every two hours which really doesn't help their feet stay clean when you lock them in an unnaturally small space. Stalling a horse 24/7 really isn't good for it's physical or mental health.
Horses are quite talented at being scraped, scuffed and cut. This is just par for the course when you're a horse owner.
You want to know what it's like to be a millionaire? Start with five million and buy a horse. Hehe.
- EvaLv 79 months ago
If you aren't prepared to deal with all the minor scuffs and scrapes that a horse gets, don't buy one. If you like her well enough, finish the purchase and if she needs veterinary care, provide it.
- RavenLv 59 months ago
I've never bought a horse, but I am in a similar situation with a dog so maybe it applies. We are purchasing a retired racing greyhound. We adopted and paid for her, and from the adoption kennel she was supposed to go to a foster home for 2 weeks before coming to our house. But before she made it to her foster she developed huge abscess on her neck that burst. The kennel is taking care of this wound-- she remains at the kennel while it's healing, and everything's been delayed until this thing heals. So, in my opinion you should leave the horse there and those people should have a vet see the wound to determine how bad it is and what kind of care she should get-- and if she should stay where she is until it's better.