Hey! Quick question. Can I use an "SSD hard drive enclosure" to use my HDD (the larger drive)?

I bought a hard drive enclosure online to use my old hard drive but since I'm a dummy. I bought an "SSD" hard drive enclosure instead. Since I spent my money on this it would be a waste to just throw it away (p.s I'm poor.)

I unscrewed the small chip like a rectangle and attached the SATA to the drive but it is not reading the drive. Is there anything I can do about this? Please help.

SSD's use a case on the drive, You need an external HDD enclosure.

it probably operates at the fastest sata speed. if your drive is old, then typically it may use more than 1 amp current, whereas most SSD drives would need less than 0.6 amps to operate so the power provided by the enclosure may not even allow the drive to start. buy the proper cable/enclosure is the only advice I could give you.

• Norm F

In the picture that looks like a 3.5" HDD. these drives need 5V  (supplied by the USB and a 12V  for the motor.

You will have to buy an external enclosure for a 3.5" drive which will come with a power adapter supplying 5V & 12V

• Lv 7

SSD enclosures are smaller than desktop HDDs, but should work fine for laptop HDDs.

Whether it will work is not determined by whether it was advertised as being for SSD or HDD, but whether it has the right connector to attach the HDD drive to it.  Most HDD have a SATA connector.  An SSD can have a SATA or any of serveral other connections.  

If you are able to plug the HDD into the encloser, it should work with it.  You will only be able to connect it to a SATA connector.  If the enclosure has anything else, it will not be anywhere close to fitting on the HDD drive's connectors.

Since you purchased it online, you probably can return it for a refund or credit if it does not work.

• Oraios3 weeks agoReport

Thanks good sir :) It doesn't look that expensive so I could probably purchase this. Thank you for your help :) Have a good day!

If the cables are compatible yes.

• Oraios3 weeks agoReport

The SATA fit in. The small chip even lit up blue. I assume it means that it recognizes the drive that is being plugged in. But when I plugged in the USB connector nothing happened.

• Bob

yes, as long as it's the same size it's still the same connection interface. does it require a power connector? some do, some dont