Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicLyrics · 3 weeks ago

When you write a song, do you write the lyrics first or the melody?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

For the most part, I'll write them simultaneously. I find it easier than trying to fit in something that wasn't supposed to be there. Of course, as I polish the lyrics, the melody gets slightly changed, but for the most part they're written simultaneously.

In my experience, writing the song around the lyrics USUALLY leads to a blander melody (though that isn't always the case), while writing the lyrics around the song is ideal (but it's sometimes very difficult to write a melody on its own). This is, of course, my opinion. Everyone is different. 

Source(s): Years of songwriting experience
  • 3 weeks ago

Artists usually have a preference, though neither is the "correct one". I usually do lyrics first.

• mars
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The lyrics. Then the melody to match the tone of it. Paul Simon writes the melody first, which seems difficult.

• Sparky
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

I usually write the lyrics first, but you can do it either way.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tony B
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Usually I get an idea for a melody and a chord sequence and work on that with an idea for some lyrics in my mind - I might have words for just the first couple of lines and maybe a very rough idea of the chorus.

I don't really try and come up with a finished set of lyrics until everything else is done.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

The melody first, then I fit the lyrics.

• Vela
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Sometimes the melody comes first then I thought of lyrics that fit

Other times I've thought of words then found music that worked with it

• Rick
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

USUALLY the lyrics, but that is up to YOUR 'creative' processes .............

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.