Is my manager being bias?

So my gf got hired at Cole haan. they were still hiring and she Told me I should apply too. I got called in for an interview. In the interview the manager looked at my resume and asked if I had any customer service experience.. I told him I did and said that it was all on my resume and gave him a little more depth of what experience I had working in retail and he told me that he was going to trust my girlfriend and take a Chance with me. 

After the interview, my gf later that day told me that the manager came up to her and told her that I didn’t have much experience and that if I didn’t do a good job on the floor that he was going to move me to the back to stock boxes. 

I was annoyed when she told me that because I felt like he only hired me because she referred me instead of hiring me because he felt like I was a good fit for the job. I filled out the offer letter and 2 weeks went by without him saying anything to me and we he finally did, he told me that there’s a delay on background checks in California and that they’re system is down and he would get back to me. 

I felt like he was just giving me the run around so I told him that I wasn’t going to take it and he never acknowledged or responded to my email and it’s been 4 days already. 

I just felt like if he didn’t think I was fit for the job then he should’ve just said that and shouldn’t have hired me. 

I reported it to corporate because I didn’t like that and now my gf is really pissed off at me.

Am I wrong? 

Employers like to hire people that good employees associate with.  The rationale is that good employees hang out with people like themselves.  So if your girlfriend is a good employee, then you are likely to be a good employee.

Of course, the only reason he offered to hire you is because you were referred by the existing good employee.

- he didn't think you were qualified but was giving you the opportunity to try

- sure he ghosted you.  You weren't qualified, he was giving you an opportunity / you showed you are an a55 and he knows he dodged a bullet.

On top of it, it doesn't look good on your girlfriend. - if she ever refers someone again, she has lost her "clout" and most likely they won't be considered. 

Do you want the job or would you rather let your hurt feelings get in the way of common sense? It sounds like the latter.

It seems to me that your gf vouched, for you, and I don't think she should have done that. I think your interview went bad, and I don't know why you were hired. I suppose maybe whoever interviewed you might like your gf, but I don't know how much.

If I was the one who interviewed you then I would not have given you the job. You should have allowed the interviewer to actually interview you instead of you just talking about yourself. I would consider that to be a red flag.

Whoever hired you gave you a chance, and I think without you receiving any help from your gf then I doubt you would have gotten the job.

NOT EVEN CLOSE.....................

No.  First of all, you don't have a manager.  You don't have a job.  You choose your attitude and reap the results of that attitude.  Some people would be grateful to get a job offer.  You were not grateful for this one -- that's your choice.  The manager was trying to be nice to your gf and you.  You didn't see it that way.  Of course your gf is pissed off.

Here's the good news, the corporate office will laugh at your "report" and won't follow up, so your gf probably won't get into any trouble.  If something does get back to the manager, who knows?

• L

Manager being biased for what? The manager may have been out of place for discussing a personnel matter (reasons for potentially hiring you), but I see no "bias" happening. Assuming what your gf told you is true, the manager said they want to hire you based on her suggestion. That is bias - in your favor.

Now that you've reported your made up bias against you to corporate, the manager will have a poor opinion of both you AND your gf.

One of the reasons the manager wanted you to talk about your experiences is to get to know you. The easiest way to do that is for you to talk about you - redirecting the manager to the resume is not you talking about you. He knows whats in the resume - and does not know your from a hole in the ground.

Congratulations! You have potentially messed up a good thing for THREE people!

If I was the hiring manager, I would not hire you; I would apologise to your gf - and I would not be able to explain to her why I decided not to hire you (again, personnel issue - should not be discussed with others, not even your girlfriend. This is between only you and the hiring manager). According to this email, you have "high maintenance" written all over you. This is a simple retail job - if this is how you would respond to your coworkers (the manager, no less), there is no telling how you would respond to (challenging) customers.

• Judy

Yes, you're quite wrong, and I sure don't see why you see all that as biased. He was trying to give you a break and you blew it and whatever you reported to corporate, you look like an idiot.

You are 100% wrong in this situation, your girlfriend is right to be mad at you.  

Basically, she went out of her way to give you a reference.  Rather than wait for the job offer everyone knows is coming (due to that reference), you got all upset because the application was delayed and told them you dont want the job anyway.  You wrote this...you sound like a petulant child... 

How good is your current job?  

Why would you expect any response to your email saying you are no longer interested in the job?  They received your email and move your resume to the "not-gonna-hire" pile.  They arent going to waste time sending you a "thanks for applying" email.  

your not wrong. manager clearly isn't doing a good job or cares and should be demoted/fired. seems like he is giving you the run around. in general this is just bad for the company. 

typical lazy manage. you cannot expect someone to go from working a similar job to working a new one and know exactly everything thats just unrealistic. 

i worked as a cook went to culinary school, etc.. got 6-7 years of experience as a line cook trust me every restaurant i work at i start completely fresh as each restaurant runs things differently. any good manager should know this doesn't matter where you work even if you transitioning through the same company. we just got 2 people from out of state that works for this company that were sent here idk why maybe experience or training but not even they know whats going on. 

always got managers like that though if the companies don't care to change i don't feel sorry for leaving. why would i want to support a company that doesn't even care about it's employee's or it's own well being in the industry especially when they can go to your competitors and put you out of business. 

i worked for a company not with managers but 3 ceo's just like that guy. they gave no fk's about their company im talking ZERO FK's GIVEN. we had a sewage spill right inside the production room as someone was clearing out the pipes in the area and backing up everyones drains and shet was flying all over the place it was so stink. called the boss, and his only concern was " keep the meat i don't want to lose money " mentality. it's a no brainer to toss it out you can't keep it without getting fined by the USDA which they were under. i literally told him im not keeping the meat idgaf you lose out money if you want me to continue working im throwing it away. i myself have standards in this industry i dont fk around with people that are cheap and want to cause clients/customers to get sick or killed.