Is it possible to wear out brand new cars brake pads in 2000 miles?

I recently leased a brand new car (Honda Civic 2019) and at 2000 miles I'm hearing the front brakes make a sound similar to pushing a needle against a record. Also, when I reverse and brake there is a clicking sound like once or twice when I push on the brake. Happens every single time no matter how much pressure is applied. I am not an aggressive driver but I do live off of a street where people drive 65+ mph and there's a traffic light on this road where unfortunately I've had to quickly brake for it several times. I've driven my previous car much more aggressively than the car I'm leasing now - obviously since I don't own this car it makes me nervous to drive it like a lunatic. I've never heard this sound come from a car before and the previous car I owned for over 5 years made a grinding noise whenever the brakes and pads needed to be changed and the brakes lasted much longer (Chevy Cobalt 08). So is it possible that I've already worn down the brakes or pads? 

Best Answer

It is possible the brake pad was defective. It is also possible to damage the brakes by using them HARD before they are properly seated. I would get it checked because you may have a brake failure if there really is a problem.

• Jacqueline3 weeks agoReport

Okay, I'll let you know, but the appointment isn't until the 25th.

• Sally

yes.  The brake pads that are manufactured in the United States are really cheap and worthless.  Buy brake bads that are made in China.  .  

A brand new 2019 Honda Civic should have a new car warranty. Everything should be covered other than the brake pads themselves as they are a wear item. Now, if the dealer finds something in the brake system that *caused the pads to wear so fast I would think the pads would be covered. The clicking in reverse with the brake petal just being pushed it could be the pads seating against the brake brackets or the inner  CV joints.

• Jacqueline3 weeks agoReport

Okay, well I feel better about the back braking noise. Thanks! Are brake pads expensive at a dealership? I didn't think I'd be having to deal with spending money on this car yet....

No.But my life is worth a lot to ME. So, it is off to see a mechanic to check it out. I want to be sure; so DAMN THE COST. Maybe yours is the one car that did not come with brakes. Tell them everything you said here. They will know what to look for and they will do both sides because the sound travels.  What you thought was the Driver's came from the Passenger side.

As for the record needle analogy...what song?AC/DC?

Fingernails across a black board.might be identifiable to the CD generation.

• Jacqueline3 weeks agoReport

HA HA, no song was playing lol I guess the next best analogy is that sound a DJ makes when they scratch a record (move the record back and forth). 

• JetDoc

If you're one of those IDIOTS who drives with his foot resting on the brake pedal, then yes... It IS possible to wear your brakes down in just 2000 miles.

• Jacqueline3 weeks agoReport

No, those people give me road rage. If I ever get stuck behind one of them I usually stay 500+ feet away from them. I actively try not to use my brakes. My previous car was a manual and it was nice downshifting or coasting in neutral until it stopped on its own

No, go to dealer to check.

Anything is possible but at 2000 miles I wouldn't be asking on YA I'd have the thing back at the dealers asking what's wrong with it.

• May

They cannot be worn out but it is common for rotors to become rusty when sitting, then when you apply them for the first several stops you will hear the sound you describe.....

However since it is a new 2019 and under warranty, I would take it to a Honda dealer and have them take a look at it.

It's a brand new car. Take it back to the dealer and have them check it out.

• Dze

unless something is damaged that is highly unlikely ... i'd get it looked at for sure ..