Have you tried a particularly good seafood alfredo?

Having some friends over pre-Christmas.

Thinking of making crab cakes with onion, and would love to make an imitation crab alfredo but that might be too much.

Do you have a recommendation for a type of seafood that would be delicious in alfredo?

Thanking in advance for any help : )

• Cammie
    Favorite Answer

Alfredo is a very heavy sauce.Not everyone can handle all that milk , cheese and pasta.New recipe idea:Bring dry pasta to a boil, when it comes to a boil add frozen shrimp and a couple of minutes later, add a box of frozen spinach. Dress with olive oil and some cheese and garlic.Have a great salad and even a loaf of bread.

for dessert, serve a sorbet with rolled cookies.

• olive_r4 weeks agoReport

P.S. I mean, could I still do drab cakes as a side dish or appetizer? P.p.s. Your menu idea sounds so smart, although sorbet would be refreshing, i'm tempted to say we could even do cheesecake for dessert! Or our Publix key lime pie nonpareil.

• denise

Lightly saute'd prawns or small salmon / tuna [chunks] would be good in alfredo.

Maybe adding a little chopped dill / parsley, near the end of cooking would enhance the seafood elements.

Scallops or shrimp. I'd cook them separately. Just sear the seafood in butter then add in top of the pasta and sauce.

One of our dishes for guests is Shrimp Alfredo. Good stuff!

having crab cakes and seafood alfredo is in essence having 2 entrees.

Pick one or the other.

• olive_r4 weeks agoReport

Yeah. I mean, i thought crab cakes were an entree but i keep only finding crab cake recipes as an appetizer. I'm glad to hear someone else say they can be an entree. I think they'd be good.

If you are going to do REAL crab cakes please forget the fake stuff for an alfredo. 

I would do ..

Crab Cakes

A very hearty Corn chowder or even a seafood chowder. 

A rustic bread

If you want a salad a nice slaw would be good. 

If you want veggies as a side roasted veggies an assortment of veggies. 

Pie or a bread pudding for dessert. 

• A.J.

I can't say I never ate imitation crab, but ground up pollock, starch, egg whites, sugar, salt and a flavoring doesn't have any crab in it at all and to me, tastes nothing like crab. Crab cakes made without crab is no better.

Shrimp, Bay or Sea Scallops, real crab

Or make a clam chowder soup with clams.

You can cheat for cost on the size of shrimp and variety of crab.

I would make something different rather than use imitation crab.

Per comment, as long as staying with real, it's OK, and either clam, or various shrimp-corn chowders are less common and excellent in flavor.

• olive_r4 weeks agoReport

Thank you. Well, I would use the real lump crab in the crab cakes, whether as an entree or appetizer ... i'm not sure anyone does them as an entree ... ? But I was thinking the imitation crab might be good in alfredo ... but two types of crab at the same meal might be a bit much. Chowder great idea.