Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 3 weeks ago

I don t like my wife working from home?

So, for the last few months my wife has been working from home. She s always wanted this because her chosen profession is art. She s been doing it for years, but now she s become so well known in the art community that she can make a fair income by doing that alone. We ve only been married a little over a year, and in that time she s made this career for herself.

This sounds great, but I HATE it.

I was raised with a working pair of parents that went out, did their job, came home after 10 hours, relaxed, went to bed and did it all over again the next day. That s what I do. And I wish that s what she did. She s said time and time again that regular jobs depress her, and she never feels truly accomplished at the end of the day, and she feels as though she s wasted several hours on something she ll never really care about.

To me, that comes off as extremely selfish. There are people in the world that would kill even for a part time job just folding clothes and making minimum wage, and she could never appreciate that.

Now, if she wanted this art thing to be a hobby or even as a part time job, that d be fine. But to do it everyday and to spend hours upon hours over a drafting table doing a job a monkey could do, that s a waste of time. And she s only 26, I don t think I could handle an entire lifetime of this.

How do I tell her to end this without making her upset?

Thanks!

I apologize for the lack of apostrophes. I'm not sure what sort of glitch that is. 

• GB

SI was raised with a working pair of parents that went out, did their job, came home after 10 hours, relaxed, went to bed and did it all over again the next day. That s what I do. And I wish that s what she did. She s said time and time again that regular jobs depress her, and she never feels truly accomplished at the end of the day, and she feels as though she s wasted several hours on something she ll never really care about.

--------------------------------------------------------------  So you would rather she worked at a minimum wage job that would depress her - than one she love and earns a fair income?  I am sure she could get the sort of job you would approve of. Has it ever entered your head that if she did - it could deprive  someone else of the job - who does not have the skills to do something more lucrative?  

I think your wife  should contribute the minimum wage towards the family budget, and save the rest. 

The idiots on this earth boyyy!!!! 

I'm wondering why she married a complete loser like you (I was raised with a working pair of parents that went out, did their job, came home after 10 hours, relaxed, went to bed and did it all over again the next day.) Boring loser, you just couldn't be anymore boring.

• glcang

Buddy, em , how do I say this??? Wtf is wrong with you? You have a happy wife who,loves what she is doing ( by the way and you are belittling it) and is profiting from it and you are so miserable in your job that you want her to stop and be like you??? Please do her  a favor and leave her . You need therapy. You are miserable and cannot bear to see her happy...forget how you were raised..it was not a good example of how to live.

• K8

I have been a freelance artist for 33 years. I LOVE what I do for a living.  I work long hours when I have big commissions, but time flies by. 

I have been married for 32 years.  Glad my lovely husband doesn't think like you.  Your wife is married to the wrong man. Hopefully she'll figure this out before you crush her creative spirit.

My husband used to work a corporate 9-5, M-F gig.  I felt sorry for him, but supported him in his chosen path.  In 2004 the company he worked for was sold and most lost their jobs, including him.  He was offered a chance to work with his brother, to become self employed. I told him to go for it. He did and has never been happier.

I am hoping you are a troll without a wife and that this is all made up.  It seems that way due to how ridiculous it sounds.  If it's real you are not the right husband for your wife and probably should not be a husband at all.  You are not supportive of your wife and you have ridiculous ideas about how she and married life "should" be.

• Foofa

I'm sure you're managing to telegraph your absurd feelings to her on the daily. If this is really her dream you might want to start packing your things because she's to going to tolerate this for long.

Why don't you grow a pair of b**ls, and put your money where your mouth is?

I would love to see you try to do what I do. I work from home too.

You know I am willing to work crazy hours to try to earn a living from home. A normal work day is 8 hours right, and part time could be, or is 4 hours per day. I think it's possible to work these kind of hours from home, but only if opportunities present itself. If I had a good opportunity, or opportunities present itself to me then you might not see me leave where I reside. Because I would be working my a$$ off while you b**ch all day long.

• tammy

If she’s making money why are you complaining?

• Teal

I think you should just tell her point blank that you don't think her skills have value and can't respect her unless she becomes a miserable drudge like you and your parents. She deserves to know that she is married to someone who doesn't want her to be happy and expects her to give up her dreams to soothe his insecurity. Also get your affairs in order, you two will be divorced by this time next year.

Just tell her what you told us.